Re: Good learning-by-doing projects?

Morton Goldberg

10/30/2007 1:22:00 AM

On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Søren Andersen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is
> pretty good.
> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it,
> rather than
> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
>
> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
> ruby-specific, and generally?

Learning by doing is good. So is reading the code others have
written. I, too, recommend Ruby Quiz as a source of both projects to
do and code to browse.

<http://www.rub...
index.html> .

Regards, Morton
3 Answers

Ari Brown

On Oct 29, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Morton Goldberg wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Søren Andersen wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
>> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is
>> pretty good.
>> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it,
>> rather than
>> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
>>
>> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
>> ruby-specific, and generally?
>
> Learning by doing is good. So is reading the code others have
> written. I, too, recommend Ruby Quiz as a source of both projects
> to do and code to browse.
>
> <http://www.rubyquiz.com/inde...

Depending on how new you are to programming (as i am/was), try
starting out with FizzBuzz and Twisting a Rope.

The rope one was especially fun!

Ari
-------------------------------------------|
Nietzsche is my copilot

Eric Mahurin

On 10/29/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:

> On Oct 29, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Morton Goldberg wrote:
>
> > On Oct 29, 2007, at 4:46 PM, Søren Andersen wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
> >> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is
> >> pretty good.
> >> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it,
> >> rather than
> >> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
> >>
> >> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
> >> ruby-specific, and generally?
> >
> > Learning by doing is good. So is reading the code others have
> > written. I, too, recommend Ruby Quiz as a source of both projects
> > to do and code to browse.
> >
> > <http://www.rubyquiz.com/inde...
>
> Depending on how new you are to programming (as i am/was), try
> starting out with FizzBuzz and Twisting a Rope.
>
> The rope one was especially fun!

If you liked the rope one, you should try the current one - editing
text. I haven't seen any solutions, yet. A "rope" could even be
used to solve it...

Eric

Robert Dober

On 10/30/07, Eric Mahurin <eric.mahurin@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> If you liked the rope one, you should try the current one - editing
> text. I haven't seen any solutions, yet.
Pitty it's a great quiz and I would love to have the time.... :(

Robert

--
what do I think about Ruby?
http://ruby-smalltalk.blo...