Re: Good learning-by-doing projects?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

10/30/2007 12:38:00 AM

David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, S?ren Andersen wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
>> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is pretty
>> good.
>> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it, rather
>> than
>> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
>>
>> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
>> ruby-specific, and generally?
>
> My "rite of passage" program for new languages is usually the
> word-game Jotto. (Somewhere I have my Ruby version of it....) I find
> game-ish things to be quite good for language-learning purposes. Not
> necessarily full-blown video games and such, but things like decks of
> cards, anagrams, and checker board moves.
>
> The main thing is to keep it all a bit fluid -- for instance, if
> you're doing a checker board, try it with arrays and also with the
> Matrix class. It can be a good excuse for exploring the language and
> trying things out.
>

> David

You *really* want that "checkers" Ruby Quiz, don't you? ;)

When I was a (very) young person I wanted a computer. Of course this was
so long ago that *people* didn't own computers, just businesses and
government agencies. And what did I want to do with it? Two things --
play games and predict the weather. It seems like there are many more
fun things to do these days, but the game thing must be pretty much
universal if it was something people wanted to do that long ago.

So ... is anyone doing computational fluid dynamics in Ruby? ;)

6 Answers

David A. Black

Ari Brown

On Oct 29, 2007, at 8:37 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> So ... is anyone doing computational fluid dynamics in Ruby? ;)

There's a company (Fluent) located in my town that does fluid
dynamics... in C... But they have many modules of their stuff in
Python. I spoke to one of the guys at my Linux Users Group meeting,
and he says they **might** start doing some modules in Ruby by next
year (I wanted to do some basic interning there, like systems
administration, dirty work, etc).

So in short... There're some things in Python that may or may not be
open source, and then porting those to Ruby shouldn't be too hard.

I'll email the guy, and ask him about maybe releasing some of their
code ;-)

HTH,
~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.

William George Ferguson

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 05:29:18 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk@chinet.com>
wrote:

>William George Ferguson <wmgfrgsn@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>"Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>>William George Ferguson sent the following on 7/29/2013 10:15 AM:

>>>How do *you* define it?
>
>>I have this insidious urge to use 'Potter Stewart knows it when he sees
>>it'.
>
>>I don't have a terrible problem with using 'state' as coeval with
>>'country', but then some tend to assume the qualifier 'independent' on one
>>side of that (usually the 'state' side). The original statement by the
>>Beeb did not include the qualifier 'independent', that has been tacked on
>>by the followup comnmentators who have challenged it.
>
>>I don't run around with a predefined definition which I use as a test of
>>whether some entity is or is not a country. My use of the word tends to
>>reflect geographic, geopolitical, and historical usage
>
>>The CIA World Factbook, which may get quoted, at least in the US, more than
>>any UN document on the general subject, comments on its use of 'country',
>>"may include independent states, dependencies, and areas of special
>>sovereignty, or other geographic entities". In its note on Terminology, it
>>says, "Due to the highly structured nature of the Factbook database, some
>>collective generic terms have to be used. For example, the word Country in
>>the Country name entry refers to a wide variety of dependencies, areas of
>>special sovereignty, uninhabited islands, and other entities in addition to
>>the traditional countries or independent states."
>
>>I find it especially interesting that it uses 'traditional countries' and
>>'independent states' as separate terms in that statement.
>
>CIA hasn't defined "dependency" as "country". It's just trying to save a
>column in the database. The two terms are obviously antithetical anyway.

The CIA defined, for their purposes inthe book and the databases, as a
generic term which may include depenndencies. A can be part of set B,
without B being part of set A.

How are they 'obviously' antithetical? An entity may be a dependent state
or an independent state. I have no problem with calling them both
countries.

--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

Jim G.

anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/29/2013 2:58 PM:
> In article <kt6dhe$a3u$8@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> William George Ferguson sent the following on 7/29/2013 10:15 AM:

>>> No, I'm using 'a bit inconsiderable mumber of countries, including
>>> themselves, consider thenm a country (note that 'a not inconsiderable
>>> number' doesn't mean a majority).
>>
>> So in your system, does anyone who wants to be a separate country get
>> counted as a separate country?
>
> North Colorado.
>
> No. Really. I'm serious.

Well, if anyone who wants to be their own country gets to be their own
country regardless of reality, then I suppose it's only fair that anyone
who wants to be their own state should get to be, as well.

"Dang it. That was my best Dirty Harry. He might just be an idiot." --
Jason Stackhouse, TRUE BLOOD

Anim8rFSK

In article <kt8v32$10b$5@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/29/2013 2:58 PM:
> > In article <kt6dhe$a3u$8@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> William George Ferguson sent the following on 7/29/2013 10:15 AM:

> >> So in your system, does anyone who wants to be a separate country get
> >> counted as a separate country?
> >
> > North Colorado.
> >
> > No. Really. I'm serious.
>
> Well, if anyone who wants to be their own country gets to be their own
> country regardless of reality, then I suppose it's only fair that anyone
> who wants to be their own state should get to be, as well.

I wish somebody would decide to break their state on a diagonal and give
us "Northeast Idaho" for instance.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Jim G.

anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/30/2013 2:26 PM:
> In article <kt8v32$10b$5@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/29/2013 2:58 PM:

>>> North Colorado.
>>>
>>> No. Really. I'm serious.
>>
>> Well, if anyone who wants to be their own country gets to be their own
>> country regardless of reality, then I suppose it's only fair that anyone
>> who wants to be their own state should get to be, as well.
>
> I wish somebody would decide to break their state on a diagonal and give
> us "Northeast Idaho" for instance.

That would certainly lead to a state of confusion.