Re: Good learning-by-doing projects?

Jeremy Woertink

10/29/2007 10:16:00 PM

Søren Andersen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
> I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is pretty
> good.
> But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it, rather
> than
> just reading about it. (Naturally...)
>
> So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
> ruby-specific, and generally?
>
> Regards,
>
> Søren Andersen

Well, my first language was ruby, so I learned it by doing Rails stuff.
I wanted to make web-sites so I learned that way. I just recently
started learning Java, and what I have been doing is taking my ruby apps
and re-doing them in Java. you could try the opposite. I guess it just
depends on what you want to do with the language, but if your just
trying to learn it and do what ever, then you could try using hpricot
and start parsing some websites, or use one of the gui toolkits like
FXRuby. Have fun!

~Jeremy

Robert Dober

On 10/29/07, Jeremy Woertink <jeremywoertink@gmail.com> wrote:
> Søren Andersen wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm fairly new to ruby coming from some Java.
> > I've been reading "The pragmatic programmers guide", which is pretty
> > good.
> > But, I always find it's easier to learn the language using it, rather
> > than
> > just reading about it. (Naturally...)
> >
> > So - what are your favorite "learning-by-doing"-proejcts? Both
> > ruby-specific, and generally?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Søren Andersen
>
> Well, my first language was ruby, so I learned it by doing Rails stuff.
> I wanted to make web-sites so I learned that way. I just recently
> started learning Java, and what I have been doing is taking my ruby apps
> and re-doing them in Java.
Downporting is good
>you could try the opposite.
DO not do this, upporting is bad, you risk to write Java code in Ruby.
I can only repeat Thomas' suggestion about Ruby Quiz

Do a simple one, it is not your algorithmic muscles you want to flex,
right?, and than look at how Rubiests have done it.

Cheers
Robert

--
what do I think about Ruby?