Ruby and irb

Paulo Carvalho

10/29/2007 8:36:00 AM

Hello

I have a problem with irb console.

When i want to write special characters like "@" and "[" or "]" i cant.
IRB simply dont let me write this characters. It is like if i was not
writing on the beyboard.

Any help?

thanks

Peña, Botp

On Behalf Of Paulo Carvalho:
# I have a problem with irb console.
# When i want to write special characters like "@" and "[" or
# "]" i cant. IRB simply dont let me write this characters. It
# is like if i was not writing on the beyboard.

i'm assumming you do not have an english keyboard,

try

irb --noreadline

kind regards -botp

Paulo Carvalho

Yes you are right. Thank you.

Now instead of executing "irb --noreadline" is there a place where i can
put the "--noreadline" option to be executed always when irb is called?

My problem is that, i am debugging an application with the "breakpoint"
instruction. This instruction opens an irb console. So I would like that
the irb console to be called automatically with the noreadline option...

Do you know how can I make it?

thanks

Peña, Botp wrote:
> On Behalf Of Paulo Carvalho:
> # I have a problem with irb console.
> # When i want to write special characters like "@" and "[" or
> # "]" i cant. IRB simply dont let me write this characters. It
> # is like if i was not writing on the beyboard.
>
> i'm assumming you do not have an english keyboard,
>
> try
>
> irb --noreadline
>
> kind regards -botp

Leonard Chin

Hi

On 10/29/07, Paulo Carvalho <pjcarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes you are right. Thank you.
>
> Now instead of executing "irb --noreadline" is there a place where i can
> put the "--noreadline" option to be executed always when irb is called?

Try putting the following option in your .irbrc file

IRB.conf[:USE_READLINE] = nil

The pickaxe has more:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/htm...

Paulo Carvalho

Thanks

I created the .irbrc file (because i dont have anyone) but it seems that
is not used.
I am in windows with instant rails. I created the file in the
\InstantRails\ruby directory but I think it is not the right place to
have it.

Am I wrong?

regards

Peña, Botp wrote:
> From: Paulo Carvalho [mailto:pjcarvalho@gmail.com]
> # Now instead of executing "irb --noreadline" is there a place
> # where i can put the "--noreadline" option to be executed always
> # when irb is called?
> #
> # My problem is that, i am debugging an application with the
> # "breakpoint"
> # instruction. This instruction opens an irb console. So I
> # would like that
> # the irb console to be called automatically with the
> # noreadline option...
> #
> # Do you know how can I make it?
>
> maybe, 2 ways
>
> 1. modify the irb shellscript (in windows it's a batch file)
>
> or
>
> 2. create/modify your .irbrc file
> if you have an existing .irbrc file (it's just a ruby file that irb
> loads by default if it exists), try putting the ff line (pref at the
> top) of th irbrc script
>
> ARGV.concat["--noreadline"]
>

> the second option is more flexible and recommended, imho
>
> kind regards -botp

Paulo Carvalho

I found the problem.

Thanks