Re: How do I define a dynamic Matrix or ....

Thomas Adam

10/28/2007 10:26:00 PM

Hi --

On 28/10/2007, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> On my quest to learn Ruby, I implemented a known algorithm to solve an odd
> nXn magic square.
> I tested my code using a 3x3 and a 5x5 magic squares.
> The problem that I am having is that I hard-code the initialization matrix.
> In other words, if it is a 3x3 I define:
>
> mm = [[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0]]
>
> For a 5 x 5 I define :
>
> mm = [[0,0,0, 0, 0], [0,0,0, 0, 0], [0,0,0, 0, 0],[0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0]]
>
> I want to be able to solve any size odd magic square. To do so, I need to be
> able to define my matrix dynamically and on demand.
> Can anyone tell me how to do that?
>
> Attached is my current code. Please feel free to criticize it and make
> recommendations. My disclaimer: I am a Ruby apprentice.
>
> Thank you
>
> Victor
>
> #!/usr/local/bin/ruby -d -W0
>
> def mag(size)
> r = 0 # row
> c = 0 # column
> index = 0 # pointer
>
> # mm = [[0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0], [0, 0, 0]]
> mm = [[0,0,0, 0, 0], [0,0,0, 0, 0], [0,0,0, 0,
> 0],[0,0,0,0,0],[0,0,0,0,0]]

You can just do something like this:

mm = []
size.to_i.times { mm << Array.new(size.to_i,0) }

Incidentally, have you looked into the numerous Matrix/math libs
already defined in Ruby?

-- Thomas Adam

13 Answers

Mason Barge

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:01:06 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <no9bcaxtfu.ln2@news.ezprovider.com>,
> "BTR1701" <a54b123@webnntp.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 26 2013 1:00 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think she even knows about THE DUMB.
>>
>> Sure, she does. She was in the diner when it first came down and talked to
>> Barbie about it (which is what got Junior so enraged). Also, Junior
>> mentioned it several times while she was chained up.
>
>I know Junior mentioned it, but I wouldn't assume anything he said was
>true. I missed about half the pilot so I never saw her before she was
>in the shelter.

Good grief. The one hot moment in the entire series and you miss it!

Mason Barge

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:16:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <kt13qc$v74$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> [re: UNDER THE DOME]
>>
>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/26/2013 9:03 PM:

>> > No, he met her in the next ep when they were just all hanging out and he
>> > had 'lectricity.
>>
>> Fair enough. I was thinking that the next day was the fast-acting
>> meningitis, at which point our young couple had already spazzed out
>> together once before.

>> > I'd like to channel her with a garden trowel.

>> > BTR answered that for us.
>>
>> Yeah, and I remembered it all as soon as he said it. Her chat with
>> Barbie was one of the things that set off Junior.

>> > Maybe she walked up to it from 3 sides and couldn't figure out how to
>> > get in.
>>
>> It wouldn't surprise me. :)

>> > You're saying I should watch it with a gurl?
>>
>> I'm advocating lessening your pain, not increasing it.
>
>"If a woman watches a movie alone, who answers all of her questions?"

ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?

It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
phone half the time.

Mason Barge

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:07:28 -0500, "Jim G."
<jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

>anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/26/2013 12:01 AM:
>> In article <ksrq54$4gs$9@dont-email.me>,
>> "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/24/2013 5:17 PM:

>>> The main thing to me is just to coordinate the efforts using both the
>>> brainy types within the dome and some brainy types without. (A
>>> reasonably competent high school science teacher under the dome would be
>>> a good character to have, for example.) But a thoroughly retarded "let's
>>> start out with a MOAB and not tell the folks inside what we're doing"
>>> approach is ... well, retarded.
>>
>> Of course they forgot the brainy types were brainy after the first day.
>> I wonder if they changed showrunners on this ...
>
>I guess we're supposed to assume that the smart kid would abandon all
>his efforts to learn about the dome's properties the moment a hideously
>ugly and pissy girl showed an interest in him. I guess being caged with
>HUDoL is preferable to being free, with or without HUDoL. Or something.

Lordie I hate to say this, but I finally saw the ep. and HUDoL is no
longer the Ugliest Woman Under 30 Ever in a TV Show.

She actually has a decent body, and her face, once they cleaned her
up, rose from an F- to about a D.

Please keep in mind that a "D" is still "very ugly". It's just not
"think about getting a sharp knife and cutting off my dick" ugly.

Anim8rFSK

In article <s7odv89nifc1dq3f4sc5mipge4201hk3o9@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:16:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <kt13qc$v74$1@dont-email.me>,
> > "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> [re: UNDER THE DOME]
> >>
> >> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/26/2013 9:03 PM:

> >> Fair enough. I was thinking that the next day was the fast-acting
> >> meningitis, at which point our young couple had already spazzed out
> >> together once before.

> >> Yeah, and I remembered it all as soon as he said it. Her chat with
> >> Barbie was one of the things that set off Junior.

> >> It wouldn't surprise me. :)

> >> I'm advocating lessening your pain, not increasing it.
> >
> >"If a woman watches a movie alone, who answers all of her questions?"
>
> ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?
>
> It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
> phone half the time.

I had a friend who insisted on sitting dead center, and you had to leave
the lights on bright and the sound on low so she could concentrate on
her book.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Jim G.

Mason Barge sent the following on 7/29/2013 4:40 PM:
> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:16:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> In article <kt13qc$v74$1@dont-email.me>,
>> "Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> [re: UNDER THE DOME]
>>>
>>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/26/2013 9:03 PM:

>>> Fair enough. I was thinking that the next day was the fast-acting
>>> meningitis, at which point our young couple had already spazzed out
>>> together once before.

>>> Yeah, and I remembered it all as soon as he said it. Her chat with
>>> Barbie was one of the things that set off Junior.

>>> It wouldn't surprise me. :)

>>> I'm advocating lessening your pain, not increasing it.
>>
>> "If a woman watches a movie alone, who answers all of her questions?"
>
> ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?
>
> It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
> phone half the time.

Surprisingly, I've *never* had to deal with a text addict. Talky talky
talky addicts, OTOH...

"Dang it. That was my best Dirty Harry. He might just be an idiot." --
Jason Stackhouse, TRUE BLOOD

Mason Barge

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:34:03 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>In article <s7odv89nifc1dq3f4sc5mipge4201hk3o9@4ax.com>,
> Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:16:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>> >"If a woman watches a movie alone, who answers all of her questions?"
>>
>> ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?
>>
>> It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
>> phone half the time.
>
>I had a friend who insisted on sitting dead center, and you had to leave
>the lights on bright and the sound on low so she could concentrate on
>her book.

Did you explain to her that everyone would be better off if she just
didn't ever go out with anyone again?

Jim G.

anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/29/2013 6:34 PM:
> In article <s7odv89nifc1dq3f4sc5mipge4201hk3o9@4ax.com>,
> Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:16:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> "If a woman watches a movie alone, who answers all of her questions?"
>>
>> ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?
>>
>> It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
>> phone half the time.
>
> I had a friend who insisted on sitting dead center, and you had to leave
> the lights on bright and the sound on low so she could concentrate on
> her book.

She and I would have gotten along great. :)

One of my fondest memories in this regard was a young woman I dated
while I was living in Rockford, IL. Not only did we both enjoy books,
but we both enjoyed the same *types* of books. So we spent more time
with a bottle of red, kicked back on my couch or her couch and reading
to each other than we did going out to movies and whatnot. She even
bought me one of those nice engraver doohickeys (sorta like the thing
that notaries use) so that I could label my library, which might have
been the most thoughtful gift I've ever received. Of course, that was
back before I made the switch to ebooks for the most part...

I hadn't thought of her in years until I ran into a mutual friend at
O'Hare a few weeks ago. Apparently she's a professor at Colorado State
these days. (I make it a practice to *not* look up old flames online.)
Hopefully she's found someone there to read with. :)

"Dang it. That was my best Dirty Harry. He might just be an idiot." --
Jason Stackhouse, TRUE BLOOD

Jim G.

Mason Barge sent the following on 7/29/2013 4:49 PM:
> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:07:28 -0500, "Jim G."
> <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rFSK sent the following on 7/26/2013 12:01 AM:

>>> Of course they forgot the brainy types were brainy after the first day.
>>> I wonder if they changed showrunners on this ...
>>
>> I guess we're supposed to assume that the smart kid would abandon all
>> his efforts to learn about the dome's properties the moment a hideously
>> ugly and pissy girl showed an interest in him. I guess being caged with
>> HUDoL is preferable to being free, with or without HUDoL. Or something.
>
> Lordie I hate to say this, but I finally saw the ep. and HUDoL is no
> longer the Ugliest Woman Under 30 Ever in a TV Show.

I agree, but the use of HUDoL is sort of a tradition for me now.

> She actually has a decent body, and her face, once they cleaned her
> up, rose from an F- to about a D.

Heh. You and I are definitely on the same page here.

> Please keep in mind that a "D" is still "very ugly". It's just not
> "think about getting a sharp knife and cutting off my dick" ugly.

At the same time, though, her personality continues to be a terrific
form of birth control.

In article <1vvfv8tcrgsap8ed8b2g8um5u2bka4iboa@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:34:03 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >In article <s7odv89nifc1dq3f4sc5mipge4201hk3o9@4ax.com>,
> > Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?
> >>
> >> It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
> >> phone half the time.
> >
> >I had a friend who insisted on sitting dead center, and you had to leave
> >the lights on bright and the sound on low so she could concentrate on
> >her book.
>
> Did you explain to her that everyone would be better off if she just
> didn't ever go out with anyone again?

LOL, well, she was my BFF's wife ...

She'd bring her book into stores when we went shopping and stand in the
corner and then gripe if we left the store too soon because she didn't
have time to really get into the reading groove ...

--

In article <kt8uop$sm7$7@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimgysin@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Mason Barge sent the following on 7/29/2013 4:40 PM:
> > On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 13:16:50 -0700, anim8rFSK <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
> > wrote:

> >> "If a woman watches a movie alone, who answers all of her questions?"
> >
> > ROFL. Ain't *that* the truth?
> >
> > It's especially fun if it's on t.v., so she can be texting on her
> > phone half the time.
>
> Surprisingly, I've *never* had to deal with a text addict. Talky talky
> talky addicts, OTOH...

Me either, except in lines at the store where they're standing there
texting and not checking out.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?