work schedules etc. (was Re: Ruby Certification Test

Giles Bowkett

10/26/2007 10:03:00 PM

> > I would be down with only working 20 hours a week. I'd question the
> > rest of it, though.
>
> Around here it's almost impossible to earn a living working 20
> hours/week. Either they pay high but expect you to work almost 24/7 or
> they pay so low that you have to work almost 24/7. Positions where you
> get anything else are quite rare.

Actually that's not so far from true in the States also. If you can
find a tech job that pays well at part-time, or even find consulting
where you can just do part-time hours, it's a pretty valuable thing.
You can make six figures working full-time if you're good, but for
some reason it's a lot trickier to make five figures working
part-time, whether you're good or not.

> Yet most of the useful work is done in China almost for free so most
> of the stuff people do here for living is useless nonsense. Yay, the
> awesome free market.

Companies in the US are doing the same thing, but recently (if I
understand correctly) the costs of programmers in India became nearly
equivalent to the costs of programmers in the States, with added costs
for communication across languages, cultures, and time zones.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...