Re: good language reference under linux

Peter Szinek

10/23/2007 7:26:00 PM

Hi Ivor,

I am using xchm under Kubuntu and it works flawlessly!

peter@brain:~$ sudo apt-cache search xchm
xchm - Compiled HTML Help (CHM) file viewer for X

HTH,
Peter
___
http://www.rubyra...
http://s...

5 Answers

Marc Heiler

"Unfortunately only an older version, but there you go."

Actually, anyone knows when the newer pickaxe will be released?
I mean i.e. like the first one happened to attract people on the www

Tim Hunter

Marc Heiler wrote:
> "Unfortunately only an older version, but there you go."
>
> Actually, anyone knows when the newer pickaxe will be released?
> I mean i.e. like the first one happened to attract people on the www

Only the PragProgs know for sure, but why wait? Serious Rubyists will
buy the book.

"If you want to know where a man's heart is, look in his checkbook."

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/project...]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...]

Reid Thompson

Ivor Paul wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> thanks for all the suggestions. I installed xchm and it looks really cool.
>
> i apt-get'ed the rubybook but I dont user-get how to interact with it now?
> Just installed and now I dont know where to find it or what to do with it :)
>

> Ivor

try
$ sudo updatedb
and when that finishes
$ locate pdf |less

Reid Thompson

Reid Thompson wrote:
> Ivor Paul wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> thanks for all the suggestions. I installed xchm and it looks really
>> cool.
>>
>> i apt-get'ed the rubybook but I dont user-get how to interact with it
>> now?
>> Just installed and now I dont know where to find it or what to do with
>> it :)
>>

>> Ivor
>
> try
> $ sudo updatedb
> and when that finishes
> $ locate pdf |less

sorry,
wrong format...
$ locate chm |less

Chad Perrin

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 01:00:33AM +0900, Reid Thompson wrote:
> Reid Thompson wrote:
> >Ivor Paul wrote:
> >>Hi Guys
> >>
> >>thanks for all the suggestions. I installed xchm and it looks really
> >>cool.
> >>
> >>i apt-get'ed the rubybook but I dont user-get how to interact with it
> >>now?
> >>Just installed and now I dont know where to find it or what to do with
> >>it :)
> >
> >try
> >$ sudo updatedb
> >and when that finishes
> >$ locate pdf |less
> >
> sorry,
> wrong format...
> $ locate chm |less

Does the rubybook package install a CHM format book? I thought it just
installed an HTML format copy of the book. If so, you might want to use
this to find it:

$ locate html|grep -i ruby|less

If, contradictory to my memory of it, it installs CHM, this might help
narrow down the search:

$ locate chm|grep -i ruby|less

Of course, if you find an HTML copy, you'll just have to open it in a
browser. For instance, if it's located at /usr/share/doc/rubybook/html
you might enter this in the address bar of your browser:

file:///usr/share/doc/rubybook/html/index.html

I think that was the path. It's been a while, though, so I could be
mistaken. I suppose I might be especially mistaken if you're using
Ubuntu, since I used "vanilla" Debian.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could