Anyone written ruby milters?

Jay Levitt

10/20/2007 5:54:00 PM

I have an aging mailing-list handler that uses a combination of procmail,
sendmail's custom mailers, and hairy sendmail.cf rules, and I want to port
it to a milter that I'll write in Ruby.

I've found two milter-related projects: one on RAA that hasn't been touched
since its first release a few years ago, and one on rubyforge that doesn't
have any code at all. I've written to both project owners, as well as one
guy who'd expressed interest in the second project, but haven't heard back
from anyone.

I suppose my choices are (a) wrap libmilter from scratch with Ruby::Inline,
(b) wrap libmilter from scratch with SWIG bindings, (c) update the RAA
project to add specs and work with current versions of Ruby and libmilter.

The former sounds easier, since I don't care about creating multi-language
bindings. I don't know if there are things that Ruby::Inline can't do,
though.

It's also interesting to note that the RAA project goes farther than just
wrapping libmilter; it (like its ancestor Perl::Milter) creates a whole
worker thread-pool system. I'm not positive I need that at my low volume,
but then I don't know what the failure/blocking/queueing semantics of
milters are.

Has anyone done any similar work with milters?

--
Jay Levitt |
Boston, MA | My character doesn't like it when they

barjunk

On Oct 20, 9:54 am, Jay Levitt <jay+n...@jay.fm> wrote:
> I have an aging mailing-list handler that uses a combination of procmail,
> sendmail's custom mailers, and hairy sendmail.cf rules, and I want to port
> it to a milter that I'll write in Ruby.
>
> I've found two milter-related projects: one on RAA that hasn't been touched
> since its first release a few years ago, and one on rubyforge that doesn't
> have any code at all. I've written to both project owners, as well as one
> guy who'd expressed interest in the second project, but haven't heard back
> from anyone.
>
> I suppose my choices are (a) wrap libmilter from scratch with Ruby::Inline,
> (b) wrap libmilter from scratch with SWIG bindings, (c) update the RAA
> project to add specs and work with current versions of Ruby and libmilter.
>
> The former sounds easier, since I don't care about creating multi-language
> bindings. I don't know if there are things that Ruby::Inline can't do,
> though.
>
> It's also interesting to note that the RAA project goes farther than just
> wrapping libmilter; it (like its ancestor Perl::Milter) creates a whole
> worker thread-pool system. I'm not positive I need that at my low volume,
> but then I don't know what the failure/blocking/queueing semantics of
> milters are.
>
> Has anyone done any similar work with milters?
>
> --
> Jay Levitt |
> Boston, MA | My character doesn't like it when they
> Faster: jay at jay dot fm | cry or shout or hit.http://... | - Kristoffer

+1. I was looking at using ruby based milter as well. I don't know
what I can offer here, but am willing to spend time on this.

Mike B.

Jay Levitt

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:23:54 -0700, barjunk wrote:

> +1. I was looking at using ruby based milter as well. I don't know
> what I can offer here, but am willing to spend time on this.

I finally heard back from the author of the RAA code, and he's given me
access to his repository; I haven't even checked yet to see if it's newer
than the 0.1 on RAA, but give it a few weeks and I should have something
going.