[ANN] RubyGems Beta 0.9.4.6

Eric Hodel

10/20/2007 8:16:00 AM

RubyGems 0.9.4.6 is a beta release for the upcoming 0.9.5 which adds
several new features and fixes several bugs.

To upgrade to the beta:

gem update --system --source http://seg...

A tar.gz and .zip of the beta can also be downloaded for manual
installation:

http://seg...temp/rubygems-0.9.4.6.tgz
http://seg...temp/rubygems-0.9.4.6.zip

Unpack either and run `ruby setup.rb`.

To file bugs:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=add&group_id=126&am...

When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
issue.

If you find a bug where RubyGems crashes, please provide debug
output. You can do that with `gem --debug the_command`. For example:

$ gem --debug unknown_command
Exception `RuntimeError' at [...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:114 -
Unknown command unknown_command
ERROR: While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
Unknown command unknown_command
[...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:114:in `find_command'
[...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:103:in `process_args'
[...]/rubygems/command_manager.rb:74:in `run'
[...]/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:39:in `run'
/usr/local/bin/gem:22

== Changes Since 0.9.4.5

* `gem update` won't install gems multiple times (due to dependencies)
* `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and compatible
with the One-Click Installer
* `gem install` no longer installs dependencies for old versions of a
gem
* Removed gem* commands are now replaced with stubs that warn
* RubyGems now installs correctly with RUBYOPT=-rubygems

For the rest of the updates since RubyGems 0.9.4, see the RubyGems
Beta 0.9.4.5 release notes:

http://blog.segment7.net/articles/2007/10/13/rubygems-be...

Lyle Johnson

On Oct 20, 2007, at 3:15 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> RubyGems 0.9.4.6 is a beta release for the upcoming 0.9.5 which
> adds several new features and fixes several bugs...

FWIW, seems to still identify itself as version 0.9.4.6.

Sascha Ebach

Hi Eric,

> * `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and compatible
> with the One-Click Installer

I am getting:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner
(NameError)

on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.

-se

Eric Hodel

On Oct 20, 2007, at 09:16 , Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2007, at 3:15 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:
>
>> RubyGems 0.9.4.6 is a beta release for the upcoming 0.9.5 which
>> adds several new features and fixes several bugs...
>
> FWIW, seems to still identify itself as version 0.9.4.6.

My bad, forgot to update the index.

Eric Hodel

On Oct 20, 2007, at 09:43 , Sasa Ebach wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
>> * `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and
>> compatible
>> with the One-Click Installer
>
> I am getting:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
> E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant
> Gem::GemRunner (NameError)
>
> on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.

You missed:

>> When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing
>> the issue.

Daniel Berger

On Oct 20, 10:43 am, Sasa Ebach <s...@digitale-wertschoepfung.de>
wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> > * `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and compatible
> > with the One-Click Installer
>
> I am getting:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
> E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner
> (NameError)
>
> on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.
>
> -se

Backup your gem.bat file to bat.orig and replace it with this:

@ECHO OFF
IF NOT "%~f0" == "~f0" GOTO :WinNT
@"C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe" "gem" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
GOTO :EOF
:WinNT
"%~d0%~p0ruby.exe" "%~d0%~p0%~n0" %

Lemme know if that works.

Regards,

Dan

Sascha Ebach

> On Oct 20, 2007, at 09:43 , Sasa Ebach wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>>> * `gem.bat` and bin stubs on mswin platforms are improved and compatible
>>> with the One-Click Installer
>>
>> I am getting:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
>> E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant Gem::GemRunner
>> (NameError)
>>
>> on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.
>
> You missed:
>
>>> When filing a bug, `gem env` output will be helpful in diagnosing the
>>> issue.

Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked that
exactly what you are suggesting does not work.

-se

Luis Lavena

Sasa Ebach wrote:
>>> (NameError)
>>>
>>> on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.
>>
>> You missed:

> Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked that
> exactly what you are suggesting does not work.

Sasa, what are the contents of your current gem.bat file?

Did you tried with the one Daniel Berger provided?

On which path is installed Ruby? C:\Ruby or C:\Program Files\Ruby?

Eric Hodel

On Oct 20, 2007, at 11:55 , Sasa Ebach wrote:
>> On Oct 20, 2007, at 09:43 , Sasa Ebach wrote:
>>> Hi Eric,

>>> I am getting:
>>>
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>gem env
>>> E:/Develop/ruby/bin/gem.bat:19: uninitialized constant
>>> Gem::GemRunner (NameError)
>>>
>>> on every command. I am using the very latest OCI.
>> You missed:
>
> Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked
> that exactly what you are suggesting does not work.

I'm sorry, I meant to say that you can run `gem` instead of `gem.bat`
to get this information. I think it is `ruby c:\ruby\bin\gem env`.

Luis Lavena

Eric Hodel wrote:

>>> You missed:
>>
>> Please read again, what I have written. I am sure you overlooked
>> that exactly what you are suggesting does not work.
>
> I'm sorry, I meant to say that you can run `gem` instead of `gem.bat`
> to get this information. I think it is `ruby c:\ruby\bin\gem env`.

I see the problem Sasa is having:

His .bat file are wrong. Ruby is reporting gem.bat error on line 19...
and the new gem stubs don't have 19 lines, nor the ruby code injected.

Sasa: please copy & paste the code Daniel provided and replace the
current gem.bat with it.

That will fix the error.

<pre>
<code>
@ECHO OFF
IF NOT "%~f0" == "~f0" GOTO :WinNT
@"C:/ruby/bin/ruby.exe" "gem" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
GOTO :EOF
:WinNT
"%~dp0ruby.exe" "%~dpn0" %*
</code>
</pre>

HTH,

Luis

Sascha Ebach

> I'm sorry, I meant to say that you can run `gem` instead of `gem.bat` to
> get this information. I think it is `ruby c:\ruby\bin\gem env`.

Of course, I should have thought of that.

Here we go:

C:\Documents and Settings\Sasa>ruby e:\Develop\ruby\bin\gem env
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 0.9.4.5 (0.9.4.5)
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i386-mswin32]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: E:/Develop/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: E:/Develop/ruby/bin/ruby.exe
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-mswin32-60
- GEM PATHS:
- E:/Develop/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://gems.rub...

Does this help?

ruby e:\Develop\ruby\bin\gem install rails --no-rdoc --no-ri (this worked)

-se