Q why do I get: uninitialized constant GLUT::BITMAP_8_BY_13

Steffen winther Soerensen

10/19/2007 2:14:00 PM

Hi

Doing a little open GL from Ruby fails on my production server (Ubuntu)
but not on my labtop (Fedora) even though runby-opengl is installed
without any complaints on both machines.

On Ubuntu I get this error running my script:
# ./gxaamta-stdin.rb:392:in `render': uninitialized constant
GLUT::BITMAP_8_BY_13 (NameError)
# ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i686-linux]
# gem -v
0.9.4
# gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

mkrf (0.2.2)
Generate Rakefiles to Build C Extensions to Ruby

needle (1.3.0)
Needle is a Dependency Injection/Inversion of Control container for
Ruby. It supports both type-2 (setter) and type-3 (constructor)
injection. It takes advantage of the dynamic nature of Ruby to
provide a rich and flexible approach to injecting dependencies.

rake (0.7.3)
Ruby based make-like utility.

ruby-opengl (0.40.1)
OpenGL Interface for Ruby

sources (0.0.1)
This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

Only different is on my laptop I have:
$ ruby -v
[stws@labtop ruby]$ gem -v
0.9.4
$ gem list --local
... same as above

looking into /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-opengl-0.40.1, I find
BITMAP_* in lib/glut.so on both machines, only why doesn't it seem to be
on my Ubuntu, any clues/hints very welcome?

BTW Where are a compiled gem found and loaded by ruby' require
statement?

G.Durga Prasad

On 10/19/07, Steffen winther Soerensen <ruby-forum@siimnet.dk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Doing a little open GL from Ruby fails on my production server (Ubuntu)
> but not on my labtop (Fedora) even though runby-opengl is installed
> without any complaints on both machines.

I am able to run ruby-opengl examples on my Ubuntu desktop.

Linux 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Sun Sep 23 19:50:39 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

The example I ran start as follows:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby -rubygems
# Name: nehe_lesson05.rb
# Purpose: An implementation of NeHe's OpenGL Lesson #05
# using ruby-opengl (http://nehe.ga...)
#

require "gl"
require "glu"
require "glut"
require "mathn"

# Add GL and GLUT namespaces in to make porting easier
include Gl
include Glu
include Glut

Prasad

Mason Barge

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:26:04 -0700, "BTR1701"
<a54b123@webnntp.invalid> wrote:

>On Jul 26 2013 8:18 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>
>> BTR1701 <atropos@mac.com> wrote:

>> >There are plenty of poor black boys in the ghetto who manage to not be
>> >criminals also.
>>
>> Yeah. They had decent parents and didn't live in circumstances that were
>> so dire that they turned to drugs to escape. Tell us how many there are
>> who didn't.
>
>Ah, so what you're saying is that they chose to commit crime. For every
>one you show me that turned to crime to "escape" their bad life, I can
>show you many who didn't.
>
>> Out of curiousity, shouldn't drug use be considered a victimless crime?
>
>I think so. Until it is, however, I obey the law.

Oh, bullshit. As long as my tax dollars are paying for their medical
care, all of their illegitimate spawn, buying them cell phones,
subsidizing their rent, blah blah blah, I am a victim of their drug
addiction.

Plus, even if drugs were legal, do you think there wouldn't be people
burglarizing houses for money to buy drugs?

You ever see a baby born to an addict mother? There's another victim
right there.

BTR1701

On Jul 26 2013 1:41 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> BTR1701 <a54b123@webnntp.invalid> wrote:

> >>Yeah. They had decent parents and didn't live in circumstances that were
> >>so dire that they turned to drugs to escape. Tell us how many there are
> >>who didn't.
>
> >Ah, so what you're saying is that they chose to commit crime. For every
> >one you show me that turned to crime to "escape" their bad life, I can
> >show you many who didn't.
>
> Of course drug use is a choice. It doesn't make your childhood comparable
> to growing up a poor black child in the ghetto.
>
> In the ghetto
>
> >>Out of curiousity, shouldn't drug use be considered a victimless crime?
>
> >I think so. Until it is, however, I obey the law.
>
> Oh, golly. Some drugs are legal, like tobacco and alchohol. Don't you have
> the willpower to decide for yourself to use them, or do you lack this
> willpower and require the gubmint to take away your choice?

Of course I do and I said as much. You seem to be responding as if I said
the opposite. It's like you're looking for an argument and no matter what
I say, you're going to pretend I'm disagreeing with you.

BTR1701

On Jul 26 2013 2:42 PM, Mason Barge wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:26:04 -0700, "BTR1701"
> <a54b123@webnntp.invalid> wrote:

> >> Yeah. They had decent parents and didn't live in circumstances that were
> >> so dire that they turned to drugs to escape. Tell us how many there are
> >> who didn't.
> >
> >Ah, so what you're saying is that they chose to commit crime. For every
> >one you show me that turned to crime to "escape" their bad life, I can
> >show you many who didn't.
> >
> >> Out of curiousity, shouldn't drug use be considered a victimless crime?
> >
> >I think so. Until it is, however, I obey the law.
>
> Oh, bullshit. As long as my tax dollars are paying for their medical
> care, all of their illegitimate spawn, buying them cell phones,
> subsidizing their rent, blah blah blah, I am a victim of their drug
> addiction.
>
> Plus, even if drugs were legal, do you think there wouldn't be people
> burglarizing houses for money to buy drugs?
>
> You ever see a baby born to an addict mother? There's another victim
> right there.

The make all drugs illegal. Nicotine, caffeine, the whole bunch.

But this idiocy where we allow people to legally smoke cigs and booze it
up and become just addicted and dangerous to society on the one hand, but
lock people up for smoking some weed on the other, is schizophrenic and
illogical and frankly I'm sick of paying a shit-ton of taxes for the $10
billion/year marijuana interdiction effort which has done fuck-all to stop
people from buying, selling, and using marijuana.