Mac OS X Leopard Ruby Features

Gary Wright

10/18/2007 8:07:00 PM

From the 300+ New Features list for OS X Leopard:

> DTrace
> Monitor virtually any aspect of your application with DTrace,
> integrated into the Darwin kernel. Java, Ruby, Python, and Perl
> have also been extended to support DTrace, providing unprecedented
> access for monitoring the performance characteristics of those
> languages.
>
> Scripting Bridge
> Use Objective-C, Ruby, and Python programs to automate Mac
> applications. The new Scripting Bridge enables them to easily
> generate AppleEvents using a concise, AppleScript-like syntax.
>
> Cocoa Bridges
> Use Ruby and Python as first-class languages for building Cocoa
> applications, thanks to Objective-C bridges as well as full Xcode
> and Interface Builder support.

and as previously announced:

> Ruby on Rails
> Work in a developer's dreamland. Leopard is the perfect platform
> for Ruby on Rails development, with Rails, Mongrel, and Capistrano
> built in.

4 Answers

John Joyce

> and as previously announced:
>
>> Ruby on Rails
>> Work in a developer's dreamland. Leopard is the perfect platform
>> for Ruby on Rails development, with Rails, Mongrel, and Capistrano
>> built in.

Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
so it should be good, but we'll see...

Brian Mitchell

On 10/18/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:

> > and as previously announced:
> >
> >> Ruby on Rails
> >> Work in a developer's dreamland. Leopard is the perfect platform
> >> for Ruby on Rails development, with Rails, Mongrel, and Capistrano
> >> built in.
> >

> Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
> The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
> They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
> so it should be good, but we'll see...

I hear that gem updates work fine. In addition to rails gems, it comes
bundled with just about every gem you might need right out of the box.
I guess I'll be waiting to pick up a box to see the final list.

What I really want to know is what sort of D-Trace support is there.
Is it just C and OS probes or have they put something together like
Joyent [0].

Brian.

[0]: https://dtrace.joyent.com/projects/ruby-d...

lpackham@gmail.com

Let's try this again (as posting on groups.google.com appeared to
break - so sorry if this has appeared more than once).

Apple have included no ustack helper in Ruby which comes with OSX - so
you have to compile your own.

I have produced a patch for Ruby on OSX and e-mailed the details to
scott at joyent. I hope he's the right person.

It seems that Apple have broken the ability to use the -G parameter on
dtrace. Meaning you can't compile d scripts into linkable objects.
This breaks the patch by the joyent guys. Hence me working out a
solution for it.

I now have it all fully working. If Scott's not the right person - who
should I send it to?

On Oct 18, 11:28 pm, "Brian Mitchell" <binar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > and as previously announced:

> > Yep, and we will see how well it's done, soon enough.
> > The big issue I'm concerned about is update/upgrade-ability.
> > They did have a lot of close consultation with the Rails Core team,
> > so it should be good, but we'll see...
>
> I hear that gem updates work fine. In addition to rails gems, it comes
> bundled with just about every gem you might need right out of the box.
> I guess I'll be waiting to pick up a box to see the final list.
>
> What I really want to know is what sort of D-Trace support is there.
> Is it just C and OS probes or have they put something together like
> Joyent [0].
>
> Brian.
>
> [0]:https://dtrace.joyent.com/projects/ruby-d...

Laurent Sansonetti

On 10/25/07, lpackham@gmail.com <lpackham@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's try this again (as posting on groups.google.com appeared to
> break - so sorry if this has appeared more than once).
>
> Apple have included no ustack helper in Ruby which comes with OSX - so
> you have to compile your own.
>
> I have produced a patch for Ruby on OSX and e-mailed the details to
> scott at joyent. I hope he's the right person.
>
> It seems that Apple have broken the ability to use the -G parameter on
> dtrace. Meaning you can't compile d scripts into linkable objects.
> This breaks the patch by the joyent guys. Hence me working out a
> solution for it.
>
> I now have it all fully working. If Scott's not the right person - who
> should I send it to?

Feel free to report any OSX-related problems at http://bugreporter...

You can attach files (patches) there.

Thanks,