How exactly does Tryruby work?

golubovsky

I have always been curious: how does Tryruby (http://
tryruby.hobix.com/) work: does it contain a Ruby interpreter coded in
Javascript, or is it just a frontend to some web service?

PS I haven't tried to reverse-engineer that site understanding that
somebody might want not to disclose their ideas, but I think my
general question might be answered.

Thanks.

12 Answers

Jano Svitok

On 10/18/07, golubovsky@gmail.com <golubovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have always been curious: how does Tryruby (http://
> tryruby.hobix.com/) work: does it contain a Ruby interpreter coded in
> Javascript, or is it just a frontend to some web service?
>
> PS I haven't tried to reverse-engineer that site understanding that
> somebody might want not to disclose their ideas, but I think my
> general question might be answered.
>
> Thanks.

There's a patched interpreter running behind. Google for
FreakyFreakySandbox. _why patched the interpreter to separate the
individual session from each other. That interpreter is connected to
the webserver using drb. (This is what I remember from various mailing
list/blog posts, so I don't guarantee anything ;-)

Jano

John Joyce

On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:50 AM, golubovsky@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have always been curious: how does Tryruby (http://
> tryruby.hobix.com/) work: does it contain a Ruby interpreter coded in
> Javascript, or is it just a frontend to some web service?
>
> PS I haven't tried to reverse-engineer that site understanding that
> somebody might want not to disclose their ideas, but I think my
> general question might be answered.
>
> Thanks.

Mostly javascript that talks to the server (ajax...)
Just view the page source when it loads in your browser.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

golubovsky@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have always been curious: how does Tryruby (http://
> tryruby.hobix.com/) work: does it contain a Ruby interpreter coded in
> Javascript, or is it just a frontend to some web service?
>
> PS I haven't tried to reverse-engineer that site understanding that
> somebody might want not to disclose their ideas, but I think my
> general question might be answered.
>
> Thanks.

There's a 13-year-old kid watching a log file with "tail -f". When a
request comes in, he reads it off the monitor and types it into a Mac
Mini running "irb". Then he copies the "irb" results into an HTML page
source that he's editing in "vi" and does ":w!" to update the HTML!

Joel VanderWerf

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> There's a 13-year-old kid watching a log file with "tail -f". When a
> request comes in, he reads it off the monitor and types it into a Mac
> Mini running "irb". Then he copies the "irb" results into an HTML page
> source that he's editing in "vi" and does ":w!" to update the HTML!

"And what's behind that vi window, making that work?"

"You can't fool me, Mr. James, it's teenagers all the way down!"

John Joyce

On Oct 18, 2007, at 10:48 PM, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> There's a 13-year-old kid watching a log file with "tail -f". When
>> a request comes in, he reads it off the monitor and types it into
>> a Mac Mini running "irb". Then he copies the "irb" results into an
>> HTML page source that he's editing in "vi" and does ":w!" to
>> update the HTML!
>
> "And what's behind that vi window, making that work?"
>
> "You can't fool me, Mr. James, it's teenagers all the way down!"
>
> --
> vjoel : Joel VanderWerf : path berkeley edu : 510 665 3407

Nope. Prison labor. Most do license plates. A few do vi.

Giles Bowkett

> Nope. Prison labor. Most do license plates. A few do vi.

Yup. That's what happened to the guys from "Office Space" after they
were caught.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles.t...

Martin DeMello

On 10/18/07, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nope. Prison labor. Most do license plates. A few do vi.
>
> Yup. That's what happened to the guys from "Office Space" after they
> were caught.

pound-me-in-the-ascii federal prison

martin

Rick DeNatale

On 10/18/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> golubovsky@gmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have always been curious: how does Tryruby (http://
> > tryruby.hobix.com/) work: does it contain a Ruby interpreter coded in
> > Javascript, or is it just a frontend to some web service?
> >
> > PS I haven't tried to reverse-engineer that site understanding that
> > somebody might want not to disclose their ideas, but I think my
> > general question might be answered.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> There's a 13-year-old kid watching a log file with "tail -f". When a
> request comes in, he reads it off the monitor and types it into a Mac
> Mini running "irb". Then he copies the "irb" results into an HTML page
> source that he's editing in "vi" and does ":w!" to update the HTML!

No, no NO!

It's a couple of *cats* and every time one of them types :w! they get
a dose of chunky bacon!

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...

Ari Brown

On Oct 19, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> No, no NO!
>
> It's a couple of *cats* and every time one of them types :w! they get
> a dose of chunky bacon!

They're foxes......

nice blog, btw!

I read it religiously :-)

-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit

Ari Brown

On Oct 19, 2007, at 7:49 AM, Martin DeMello wrote:

> On 10/18/07, Giles Bowkett <gilesb@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Nope. Prison labor. Most do license plates. A few do vi.
>>
>> Yup. That's what happened to the guys from "Office Space" after they
>> were caught.
>
> pound-me-in-the-ascii federal prison

So has anyone given a legitimate answer yet? i'm actually kind of
interested in how it works, too....

Ari
Nietzsche is my copilot