Ruby without installation

uap12

10/18/2007 5:58:00 AM

Hi!
I today make som scripts in Perl, it have the advantage it is
installed everyware
and i not allowed to install stuff, eg Ruby but i have full acces to
my userarea.

I time ago i so LispInABox witch was LISP and EMACS and everyting
arounf
needed, just unzip the catalog and use it...

I like to find equal stuff for Ruby, does anyone know if this exits

Best regards
Anders

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Oct 17, 2007, at 23:00 , anders wrote:

> Hi!
> I today make som scripts in Perl, it have the advantage it is
> installed everyware
> and i not allowed to install stuff, eg Ruby but i have full acces to
> my userarea.
>
> I time ago i so LispInABox witch was LISP and EMACS and everyting
> arounf
> needed, just unzip the catalog and use it...
>
> I like to find equal stuff for Ruby, does anyone know if this exits

download a ruby tarball, extract it, then cd into the directory it
created then:

/configure --prefix=~/ruby
make
make install
~/ruby/bin/ruby -v

brabuhr

On 10/18/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2007, at 23:00 , anders wrote:
> > I today make som scripts in Perl, it have the advantage it is
> > installed everyware
> > and i not allowed to install stuff, eg Ruby but i have full acces to
> > my userarea.
> >

> download a ruby tarball, extract it, then cd into the directory it
> created then:
>
> ./configure --prefix=~/ruby
> make
> make install
> ~/ruby/bin/ruby -v

I sometimes follow this method even for machines that I do have
administrative control of. If the machines have Java installed, JRuby
may be another option:
> java -jar ~/jruby-complete.jar -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2007-09-25 rev 3876) [i386-jruby1.1]