Comparison question

Peter Vanderhaden

10/16/2007 12:46:00 AM

I'm looking at the Comparable module in a book, and I can't figure out
how to do a simple comparison. What I want to do is a loop based on a
counter. If the counter is less than 3, I want to execute the loop,
otherwise I want the loop to end. I'm used to coding something like if
$cnt < 3 but in Ruby that doesn't seem to work. Obviously I'm new to OO
programming, so can someone give me a simple example of how to do this,
or point me to a simple tutorial on how to do comparisons?
Thanks

Peter Vanderhaden

Never mind, I figured it out, sorry!

Peter Vanderhaden wrote:
> I'm looking at the Comparable module in a book, and I can't figure out
> how to do a simple comparison. What I want to do is a loop based on a
> counter. If the counter is less than 3, I want to execute the loop,
> otherwise I want the loop to end. I'm used to coding something like if
> $cnt < 3 but in Ruby that doesn't seem to work. Obviously I'm new to OO
> programming, so can someone give me a simple example of how to do this,
> or point me to a simple tutorial on how to do comparisons?
> Thanks

7stud --

Peter Vanderhaden wrote:
> Never mind, I figured it out, sorry!

Here are some ways you might not have thought of:

a)
arr = ["hello", "world", "goodbye", "mars"]

arr.each_with_index do |elmt, i|
if i == 3
break
end

puts elmt

end

--output:--
hello
world
goodbye

b)
(0..2).each {|i| print i}

--output:--
012

c)
3.times {|i| puts i}

--output:--

Robert Klemme

2007/10/16, Peter Vanderhaden <bostonantifan@yahoo.com>:
> I'm looking at the Comparable module in a book, and I can't figure out
> how to do a simple comparison. What I want to do is a loop based on a
> counter. If the counter is less than 3, I want to execute the loop,
> otherwise I want the loop to end. I'm used to coding something like if
> $cnt < 3 but in Ruby that doesn't seem to work. Obviously I'm new to OO
> programming, so can someone give me a simple example of how to do this,
> or point me to a simple tutorial on how to do comparisons?

http://www.google.com/search?q=rub...
http://www.rub...

robert