ANN: English 0.1

Trans

10/12/2007 3:58:00 PM

English 0.1

http://english.rub...

The initial release of English has hit the streets. English is a
Facets spin-off project --containing all the libraries related to
working with the English language and language text in general. Among
these are libraries for plural/singular noun inflection, word
filtering, obfuscation, numerals as words, roman numerals, and so on.

This is a very early release so expect the API to shift a bit as it
develops. And please, let me know if you'd like to see anything
changed or added to the library.

gem install english

T.

16 Answers

Alex Young

Trans wrote:
> English 0.1
>
> http://english.rub...
I hate to point this out, but isn't having "require 'english'" and
"require 'English'" both being valid and completely different going to
be rather confusing?

--
Alex

Trans

On Oct 12, 9:02 am, Alex Young <a...@blackkettle.org> wrote:
> Trans wrote:
> > English 0.1
>
> >http://english.rub...
>
> I hate to point this out, but isn't having "require 'english'" and
> "require 'English'" both being valid and completely different going to
> be rather confusing?

Well, there is no "require 'english'" but rather "require 'english/
somelib'". But despite the name overlap I think we can manage.

Besides, "English" is a rather poor name for what that library does
IMHO; and Facets has an OOP alternative called 'rbsystem' (albeit it
could still use some fine tuning).

T.

Arlen Cuss

On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 00:58 +0900, Trans wrote:
> English 0.1
>
> http://english.rub...

I don't mean to sound abrupt, but why are there so many spelling/grammar
errors on the main page? Missing 'for' in the first sentence, `a few',
`fantastic', `general', `handle'.. sorry. It just seems ironic for a gem
named english.

Arlen

Arlen Cuss

Sorry, I think I came off fairly harshly and probably not in an
understanding in my last mail. Feel free to disregard.

- Arlen.

Trans

On Oct 12, 9:21 am, Arlen Christian Mart Cuss <cel...@sairyx.org>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 2007-10-13 at 00:58 +0900, Trans wrote:
> > English 0.1
>
> >http://english.rub...
>
> I don't mean to sound abrupt, but why are there so many spelling/grammar
> errors on the main page? Missing 'for' in the first sentence, `a few',
> `fantastic', `general', `handle'.. sorry. It just seems ironic for a gem
> named english.

B/c I'm a "creative speller" ;) and this is version 0.1. Thanks for
mentioning it though, I'll review and run a spell checker over it when
I get a chance.

T.

ara.t.howard

On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Alex Young wrote:

> I hate to point this out, but isn't having "require 'english'" and
> "require 'English'" both being valid and completely different going
> to be rather confusing?

not only that but, on osx for one, case in-sensitive file names means
that, regardless of whether you require 'english' or 'English', the
first one of either type in your loadpath will be loaded:

cfp:~ > ruby -I . -r english -e 42
42

cfp:~ > ruby -I . -r English -e 42
42

so i think that users of osx will not even be able to load that via
gems since the built-in English will be picked up first.

regards.

a @ http://codeforp...
better. simply reflect on that.
h.h. the 14th dalai lama

Daniel Berger

On Oct 12, 11:06 am, "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Alex Young wrote:
>
> > I hate to point this out, but isn't having "require 'english'" and
> > "require 'English'" both being valid and completely different going
> > to be rather confusing?
>
> not only that but, on osx for one, case in-sensitive file names means
> that, regardless of whether you require 'english' or 'English', the
> first one of either type in your loadpath will be loaded:
>
> cfp:~ > ruby -I . -r english -e 42
> 42
>
> cfp:~ > ruby -I . -r English -e 42
> 42
>
> so i think that users of osx will not even be able to load that via
> gems since the built-in English will be picked up first.

Bad, bad, BAD!!!

Keep the project name, but rename the library. Personally, I think a
toplevel namespace of "Language" is in order. Then end users could
"require 'language/english'".

Regards,

Dan

Trans

On Oct 12, 10:32 am, Daniel Berger <djber...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 11:06 am, "ara.t.howard" <ara.t.how...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 12, 2007, at 10:02 AM, Alex Young wrote:
>
> > > I hate to point this out, but isn't having "require 'english'" and
> > > "require 'English'" both being valid and completely different going
> > > to be rather confusing?
>
> > not only that but, on osx for one, case in-sensitive file names means
> > that, regardless of whether you require 'english' or 'English', the
> > first one of either type in your loadpath will be loaded:
>
> > cfp:~ > ruby -I . -r english -e 42
> > 42
>
> > cfp:~ > ruby -I . -r English -e 42
> > 42
>
> > so i think that users of osx will not even be able to load that via
> > gems since the built-in English will be picked up first.
>
> Bad, bad, BAD!!!

Well, it's no quite that bad. As I said there is no "require
'english'", so it should still work fine.

> Keep the project name, but rename the library. Personally, I think a
> toplevel namespace of "Language" is in order. Then end users could
> "require 'language/english'".

That's a reasonable idea ... though I have no plans to learn Japanese
at this time ;)

T.

Phrogz

On Oct 12, 10:47 am, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 12, 9:21 am, Arlen Christian Mart Cuss <cel...@sairyx.org> wrote:
> > I don't mean to sound abrupt, but why are there so many spelling/grammar
> > errors on the main page? Missing 'for' in the first sentence, `a few',
> > `fantastic', `general', `handle'.. sorry. It just seems ironic for a gem
> > named english.
>
> B/c I'm a "creative speller" ;) and this is version 0.1. Thanks for
> mentioning it though, I'll review and run a spell checker over it when
> I get a chance.

Make sure you check the code samples, too:
reqiure 'english/inflect' # require

Phrogz

On Oct 12, 9:58 am, Trans <transf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> English 0.1
>
> http://english.rub...
>
> The initial release of English has hit the streets. English is a
> Facets spin-off project --containing all the libraries related to
> working with the English language and language text in general. Among
> these are libraries for plural/singular noun inflection, word
> filtering, obfuscation, numerals as words, roman numerals, and so on.

Perhaps I'm being too picky, but when someone adds a similar (or port)
library for Spanish, and Russian, and French (and so on), wouldn't it
be nice to have them all in a similar namespace?

Language::English, perhaps?