Re: Ruby vs. PHP

Isaac Gouy

10/7/2007 5:52:00 PM

Chad Perrin wrote:

-snip-
> I'm also not sure the jruby implementation's numbers here are
> representative of JRuby's strengths. Does JRuby benefit from the
> benefits of Java's optimizing VM for long-running processes?
> I know it's probably suffering, in micro-benchmarks, from increased
> start-up times as it loads the VM.

JRuby is suffering from being 1.0

"JRuby 1.0 was focused almost entirely on one goal: Ruby 1.8.x
compatibility. ... The next step is making it run as well as possible.
... The heavy lifting for performance and scalability are coming up
..."

http://headius.blogspot.com/2007/06/jruby-10-rel...

Please notice that JRuby is running some of those "micro-benchmarks"
for 2 1/2 hours before dwelling too much on JVM startup-time :-)

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=jruby&l...

> I'm surprised to see python's median so low. Are these benchmarks
> heavy on bytecode-optimized Python, or do they tend to use standard
> interpreted Python?

A build and run log is shown for each program:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=meteor&lang=python&am...

And then there's Psyco
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=psyco&la...

http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?re...