Please i am just new to Ruby...

Emperor of thought

10/5/2007 1:53:00 AM

Please i am just new to Ruby and i will like to know how i can go
about in web development. I am migrating from PHP and Ruby web
environment does not look very familiar.
Please can anyone help me on how to go about starting web development
in Ruby?

5 Answers

Tim Hunter

http://www.rubyon...

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/project...]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...]

7stud 7stud

Emperor of thought wrote:
> Please i am just new to Ruby and i will like to know how i can go
> about in web development. I am migrating from PHP and Ruby web
> environment does not look very familiar.
> Please can anyone help me on how to go about starting web development
> in Ruby?

A good way to learn is to buy a book that teaches you Ruby on
Rails(ROR). As luck would have it, sitepoint just made their beginning
ROR book available free for download. You can read reviews at
amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Ruby-Rails-Applications/dp/...

And you can download the book for free here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.ph...

John Joyce

On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:20 PM, 7stud -- wrote:

> Emperor of thought wrote:
>> Please i am just new to Ruby and i will like to know how i can go
>> about in web development. I am migrating from PHP and Ruby web
>> environment does not look very familiar.
>> Please can anyone help me on how to go about starting web
>> development
>> in Ruby?
>
> A good way to learn is to buy a book that teaches you Ruby on
> Rails(ROR). As luck would have it, sitepoint just made their
> beginning
> ROR book available free for download. You can read reviews at
> amazon.com here:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Ruby-Rails-Applications/dp/...
>
> And you can download the book for free here:
>
> http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.ph...

But do know that learning Ruby itself will make your Rails experience
a lot better.
You wouldn't learn Struts without Java...

dusty

On Oct 5, 12:19 am, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:20 PM, 7stud -- wrote:
>

> > Emperor of thought wrote:
> >> Please i am just new to Ruby and i will like to know how i can go
> >> about in web development. I am migrating from PHP and Ruby web
> >> environment does not look very familiar.
> >> Please can anyone help me on how to go about starting web
> >> development
> >> in Ruby?
>
> > A good way to learn is to buy a book that teaches you Ruby on
> > Rails(ROR). As luck would have it, sitepoint just made their
> > beginning
> > ROR book available free for download. You can read reviews at
> > amazon.com here:
>
> >http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Ruby-Rails-Applications/dp/...
>
> > And you can download the book for free here:
>
> >http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.ph...
> > --
>
> But do know that learning Ruby itself will make your Rails experience
> a lot better.
> You wouldn't learn Struts without Java...

I agree. I tried learning rails first, didn't work too well. I liked
Ruby for Rails and The Rails Way.

dusty

On Oct 5, 1:26 am, dusty <dusty.do...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 12:19 am, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondan...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > A good way to learn is to buy a book that teaches you Ruby on
> > > Rails(ROR). As luck would have it, sitepoint just made their
> > > beginning
> > > ROR book available free for download. You can read reviews at
> > > amazon.com here:
>
> > >http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Ruby-Rails-Applications/dp/...
>
> > > And you can download the book for free here:
>
> > >http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.ph...
> > > --
>
> > But do know that learning Ruby itself will make your Rails experience
> > a lot better.
> > You wouldn't learn Struts without Java...
>
> I agree. I tried learning rails first, didn't work too well. I liked
> Ruby for Rails and The Rails Way.

I'm sorry, I meant "The Ruby Way"