Problem with Gem

David Siebert

10/3/2007 2:42:00 AM

I am trying to install support for SQLite using Gem but I get this error
"Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
can't find header files for ruby."
I do have ruby.h installed on my system but gem can not seem to find it.
Any suggestions?

Eric Hodel

On Oct 2, 2007, at 19:42 , David Siebert wrote:

> I am trying to install support for SQLite using Gem but I get this
> error
> "Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
> can't find header files for ruby."
> I do have ruby.h installed on my system but gem can not seem to
> find it.
> Any suggestions?

What does this say:

ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts File.join(Config::CONFIG["rubylibdir"],
Config::CONFIG["arch"], "ruby.h")'

degreane

On Oct 3, 6:02 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2007, at 19:42 , David Siebert wrote:
>
> > I am trying to install support for SQLite using Gem but I get this
> > error
> > "Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> > ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
> > can't find header files for ruby."
> > I do have ruby.h installed on my system but gem can not seem to
> > find it.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> What does this say:
>
> ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts File.join(Config::CONFIG["rubylibdir"],
> Config::CONFIG["arch"], "ruby.h")'
>
> --
> Poor workers blame their tools. Good workers build better tools. The
> best workers get their tools to do the work for them. -- Syndicate Wars

it says /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux/ruby.h
I have the same problem while installing fxruby
gem install fxruby
regards

Eric Hodel

On Oct 12, 2007, at 01:00 , degreane wrote:
> On Oct 3, 6:02 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
>> On Oct 2, 2007, at 19:42 , David Siebert wrote:
>>> I am trying to install support for SQLite using Gem but I get this
>>> error
>>> "Building native extensions. This could take a while...
>>> ERROR: While executing gem ...
>>> (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
>>> ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>>
>>> ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
>>> can't find header files for ruby."
>>> I do have ruby.h installed on my system but gem can not seem to
>>> find it.
>>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> What does this say:
>>
>> ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts File.join(Config::CONFIG["rubylibdir"],
>> Config::CONFIG["arch"], "ruby.h")'
>
> it says /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux/ruby.h
> I have the same problem while installing fxruby
> gem install fxruby

Do you have that file?

What other .h files exist in /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux?

Can you attach gem_make.out?

Giles Bowkett

> > > I am trying to install support for SQLite using Gem but I get this
> > > error
> > > "Building native extensions. This could take a while...
> > > ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)
> > > ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
> >
> > > ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
> > > can't find header files for ruby."
> > > I do have ruby.h installed on my system but gem can not seem to
> > > find it.
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > What does this say:
> >
> > ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts File.join(Config::CONFIG["rubylibdir"],
> > Config::CONFIG["arch"], "ruby.h")'

> I have the same problem while installing fxruby
> gem install fxruby

gem needs to be more idiot-friendly. I do not wake up a genius. I
become one over the course of several cups of coffee, on days when I'm
lucky.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...
Portfolio: http://www.gilesg...
Tumblelog: http://giles.t...

Eric Hodel

On Oct 12, 2007, at 08:31 , Giles Bowkett wrote:
> gem needs to be more idiot-friendly. I do not wake up a genius. I
> become one over the course of several cups of coffee, on days when I'm
> lucky.

If you have something constructive to contribute, please do so.

If you have found a bug, please file it in the tracker.

Empty statements of frustration do not help me make RubyGems better.

Giles Bowkett

> > gem needs to be more idiot-friendly. I do not wake up a genius. I
> > become one over the course of several cups of coffee, on days when I'm
> > lucky.
>
> If you have something constructive to contribute, please do so.

I did. I sent Chad & Jim a patch that allows you to require symbols
and arrays. It was nifty.

Admittedly, though, that doesn't help here at all. My bad.

> If you have found a bug, please file it in the tracker.
>
> Empty statements of frustration do not help me make RubyGems better.

OK, ok.

--
Giles Bowkett

Blog: http://gilesbowkett.bl...