Re: URI.join inconsistency

Eric Hodel

10/1/2007 8:55:00 PM

On Oct 1, 2007, at 03:02 , Gareth Adams wrote:
> I just got stung by rather annoying feature of URI.join:
>
> irb(main):001:0> URI.join('http://www.example.com/some...,
> 'else').to_s
> => "http://www.example.com/...
>
> Note that this completely ignores the 'something' in the original
> URI. I had assumed that it joined in a similar way to File.join:
>
> irb(main):002:0> File.join('/something', 'else').to_s
> => "/something/else"
>
> I notice that adding a slash works as expected, but why is there a
> difference?

URIs and paths are not the same, "http://example.com/somet... and
"http://example.com/someth... are allowed to return different
content. URI.join works off the directory, "/" in your case, rather
than assuming that "/something" is a directory, which may be incorrect.

(My annoyance with this method is that the first argument cannot be a
URI::Generic.)

mortee