Gem Developer Guide

Pedro Cardoso

10/1/2007 1:47:00 PM

Hello.

Can someone tell me where is the developer guide to the ruby gems?

Thnaks!

Tim Hunter

Pedro Cardoso wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Can someone tell me where is the developer guide to the ruby gems?
>
> Thnaks!

http://www.rub...

Pedro Cardoso

Thnaks,

I'm so sorry, but I don't seem to be able to find de dev guide in
there... just a reference...

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Pedro Cardoso wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> Can someone tell me where is the developer guide to the ruby gems?
>>
>> Thnaks!
>
> http://www.rub...

Tim Hunter

Pedro Cardoso wrote:
> Thnaks,
>
> I'm so sorry, but I don't seem to be able to find de dev guide in
> there... just a reference...
>
> Tim Hunter wrote:
>> Pedro Cardoso wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me where is the developer guide to the ruby gems?
>>>
>>> Thnaks!
>> http://www.rub...

AFAIK that's as close to a "dev guide" as there is. Perhaps somebody
else knows better than I do.

--
RMagick OS X Installer [http://rubyforge.org/project...]
RMagick Hints & Tips [http://rubyforge.org/forum/forum.php?for...]

Pedro Cardoso

Well...

Maybe I didn't serached it well... or that's just de ruby stile... but
I dind't found anything that tells me what structure to use for file or
anything like that...

Tim Hunter wrote:

>>> http://www.rub...
>>

> AFAIK that's as close to a "dev guide" as there is. Perhaps somebody
> else knows better than I do.

John Joyce

There is info in several books.
Peter Cooper's Beginning Ruby has it
I believe the pickaxe book has it
Ruby Cookbook has it
Should be there in rubygems.org too...
http://rubygems.org/read...

AFAIK it's only in English now, which is unfortunate.
We do need more effort at doc translation in the Ruby community..

Wilson Bilkovich

On 10/1/07, Pedro Cardoso <cardosojp@netcabo.pt> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Can someone tell me where is the developer guide to the ruby gems?
>
> Thnaks!
> --

What kind of information are you looking for?
We can probably help you if you have something specific.

BJ Dierkes

If you are just looking for information on how to create a ruby gem
package, I wrote a quick howto here:

http://www.5dollarwhitebox.org/drupal/creating_a_rubyg...

On Oct 1, 2007, at 8:46 AM, Pedro Cardoso wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Can someone tell me where is the developer guide to the ruby gems?
>
> Thnaks!

Pedro Cardoso

Hi!

Thanks. That is enough I think :)

I was thinking in putting a rake that I will use for many projects in a
gem, but I'm getting the feeling that that's not right...

What do you guyes recomend?

BJ Dierkes wrote:
> If you are just looking for information on how to create a ruby gem
> package, I wrote a quick howto here:
>
> http://www.5dollarwhitebox.org/drupal/creating_a_rubyg...

Chris Lowis

> If you are just looking for information on how to create a ruby gem
> package, I wrote a quick howto here:
>
> http://www.5dollarwhitebox.org/drupal/creating_a_rubyg...

Also of interest :

http://drnicwilliams.com/2006/10/11/generating...

Eric Hodel

On Oct 2, 2007, at 02:00 , Pedro Cardoso wrote:
> I was thinking in putting a rake that I will use for many projects
> in a
> gem, but I'm getting the feeling that that's not right...
>
> What do you guyes recomend?

Use hoe:

http://seattlerb.rubyforg...

It handles everything you need for building gems and publishing them,
including generating a nice announcement email.