How can I uninstall Ruby? Need to reinstall - please help!

Peter Vanderhaden

9/30/2007 1:50:00 PM

My Ruby installation doesn't recognize "gets", among other things, so
I'm assuming that my Ruby installation is somehow corrupt. I'd like to
completely remove Ruby from my Windows system, and do a clean reinstall.
Can someone tell me the best way to remove everything Ruby from my
system? It doesn't show up on the add/remove programs list. Any help
will be GREATLY appreciated.
PETERV

Terry Poulin

Peter Vanderhaden wrote:
> My Ruby installation doesn't recognize "gets", among other things, so
> I'm assuming that my Ruby installation is somehow corrupt. I'd like to
> completely remove Ruby from my Windows system, and do a clean reinstall.
> Can someone tell me the best way to remove everything Ruby from my
> system? It doesn't show up on the add/remove programs list. Any help
> will be GREATLY appreciated.
> PETERV

You probably fragged the install or got a very bad download of the installer
if it's not in the add/remove programs menu. Assuming it was installed, there
should be a uninstall.exe in the installation directory -- add/remove programs
just front ends for running these things.

For me Ruby is installed into C:\Devel\ruby on my XP Machine, /usr/local/ on
the rest of my boxes. I think the default installation directory for Ruby on
Win32 is C:\ruby.

You might have to uninstall manually, in which case you would want to remove
<where ever you installed ruby>\bin from your %PATH% environment variable.
Delete the files in the install directory, and clean the registry manually (if
used). -- Many install programs also have a 'repair' or 'reinstall' mode,
dunno if Ruby has that feature.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ip...

Damjan Rems

Peter Vanderhaden wrote:
> My Ruby installation doesn't recognize "gets", among other things, so

I have used One-Click Ruby Installer and everything is installed in
c:\ruby directory.

So. Delete this directory and uninstallation is done. You can also
update environment variable "path" and remove c:\ruby\bin entry. That
should do it.

If you run One-Click Ruby Installer again, you will be informed that it
will delete old ruby instalation. And it does this literary since it
also deletes any subdirectories you might have created by yourself.

by
TheR

Stefan Mahlitz

Peter Vanderhaden wrote:
> My Ruby installation doesn't recognize "gets", among other things, so
> I'm assuming that my Ruby installation is somehow corrupt. I'd like to
> completely remove Ruby from my Windows system, and do a clean reinstall.
> Can someone tell me the best way to remove everything Ruby from my
> system? It doesn't show up on the add/remove programs list. Any help
> will be GREATLY appreciated.

Any chance that you are using SciTE?

Stefan