Can we use ruby for web application development???

Fun Feast

9/28/2007 10:29:00 AM

Dear all,

Thanks for answering my first question about ruby tutorials. I am new to
programming, ruby and web development too. People use php or .net or few
other languages for web application/e-com sites. Can we use ruby for the
same?

Can any one suggest any website based on ruby? e-com or any other
database based website with ruby.

Regards,
FunFeast

Bira

On 9/28/07, Fun Feast <junkplanet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for answering my first question about ruby tutorials. I am new to
> programming, ruby and web development too. People use php or .net or few
> other languages for web application/e-com sites. Can we use ruby for the
> same?
>
> Can any one suggest any website based on ruby? e-com or any other
> database based website with ruby.

Ruby can and has been used for web application development. There are
several libraries and frameworks written in Ruby for it, but the most
famous is Ruby on Rails. The first site to use it was
http://37s..., and I think one of the most famous to do so now
it Twitter.

--
Bira
http://compexplicita.bl...

Peter Szinek

Fun Feast wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Thanks for answering my first question about ruby tutorials. I am new to
> programming, ruby and web development too. People use php or .net or few
> other languages for web application/e-com sites. Can we use ruby for the
> same?

Definitely! The most widespread framework is Ruby on Rails, but there
are more of them: nitro, merb, camping...

Cheers,
Peter
___
http://www.rubyra...
http://s...

Peter Szinek

Hey,

> The first site to use it was http://37s...,

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think http://37s... was never
written in RoR (sometimes I have seen links to it as
http://37s.../index.php) ;-) I think this is actually pretty
funny (given DHH's... hmmm... aversion for PHP)

I guess the first site to use it was basecamp...

Cheers,
Peter
___
http://www.rubyra...