Re: question on bottleneck of ruby

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: question on bottleneck of ruby"
on Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:18:33 +0900, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> writes:

|> Garbage collection and poor memory usage, on the other hand, are problems
|> that can and should be solved.
|
|Very true, and I hope these are solved some time in future 1.9.1
|releases, because I worry that with YARV running faster and generating
|garbage faster, the GC bottlenecks are going to become more pronounced.

Although I have my own opinion, first, can you elaborate your opinion
on GC problems and possible solutions?

Note that we already implemented generational GC, which happened to
have no positive effect on performance due to write barrier cost.

matz.

1 Answer

Charles Oliver Nutter

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: question on bottleneck of ruby"
> on Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:18:33 +0900, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter@sun.com> writes:
>
> |> Garbage collection and poor memory usage, on the other hand, are problems
> |> that can and should be solved.
> |
> |Very true, and I hope these are solved some time in future 1.9.1
> |releases, because I worry that with YARV running faster and generating
> |garbage faster, the GC bottlenecks are going to become more pronounced.
>
> Although I have my own opinion, first, can you elaborate your opinion
> on GC problems and possible solutions?
>
> Note that we already implemented generational GC, which happened to
> have no positive effect on performance due to write barrier cost.

I think part of the problem, as I understand it, is the "stop the world"
nature of the GC. Because the GC can't run in parallel, it's more
difficult to use Ruby for pauseless applications.

Unfortunately I can't really speak definitively on GC techniques, I've
largely just heard stories from others about problems with Ruby's GC and
issues with large or long-running apps. Can anyone else elaborate?

- Charlie