OneClickInstaller/RubyGems problems

Trans

9/26/2007 4:06:00 PM

Is there anything you have to do after installing the Windows
OneClickInstaller? I did so and then tried to use RubyGems with now
success. First I tried:

gem install rubyscript2exe

but got

getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)

I added --no-http-proxy and got:

underfined method '[]=' for #<Gem::ConfigFile:0x2df7864>

So I download the latest 0.9.4 version of RubyGems and tried to
install it with setup.rb and got:

undefined method 'file_name' for #<Gem::Specification:0x2e2b36c>

Anyone know what's up?

Thanks,
T.

15 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Sep 26, 2007, at 09:05 , Trans wrote:

> Is there anything you have to do after installing the Windows
> OneClickInstaller? I did so and then tried to use RubyGems with now
> success. First I tried:
>
> gem install rubyscript2exe
>
> but got
>
> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)

This tells me that you weren't attached to the internet, or were
having problems with DNS.

While there could be a corner I've missed, I don't believe that
RubyGems prints out just an exception message and nothing else.
Please paste the full command output.

> So I download the latest 0.9.4 version of RubyGems

Last I checked the one click installer shipped with 0.9.4. gem env
will give you the version of RubyGems you have installed.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Trans wrote:
> Is there anything you have to do after installing the Windows
> OneClickInstaller? I did so and then tried to use RubyGems with now
> success. First I tried:
>
> gem install rubyscript2exe
>
> but got
>
> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
>
> I added --no-http-proxy and got:
>
> underfined method '[]=' for #<Gem::ConfigFile:0x2df7864>
>
> So I download the latest 0.9.4 version of RubyGems and tried to
> install it with setup.rb and got:
>
> undefined method 'file_name' for #<Gem::Specification:0x2e2b36c>
>
> Anyone know what's up?
>
> Thanks,
> T.

Are you behind a firewall? I'm not sure RubyGems is sneaky enough to
deal with proxy servers.

Eric Hodel

On Sep 26, 2007, at 19:25 , M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Are you behind a firewall? I'm not sure RubyGems is sneaky enough to
> deal with proxy servers.

RubyGems has dealt with proxy servers for ages.

Trans

On Sep 26, 4:35 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2007, at 09:05 , Trans wrote:
>
> > Is there anything you have to do after installing the Windows
> > OneClickInstaller? I did so and then tried to use RubyGems with now
> > success. First I tried:
>
> > gem install rubyscript2exe
>
> > but got
>
> > getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
>
> This tells me that you weren't attached to the internet, or were
> having problems with DNS.
>
> While there could be a corner I've missed, I don't believe that
> RubyGems prints out just an exception message and nothing else.
> Please paste the full command output.
>
> > So I download the latest 0.9.4 version of RubyGems
>
> Last I checked the one click installer shipped with 0.9.4. gem env
> will give you the version of RubyGems you have installed.

I downloaded what was on ruby-lang.org and it install RubyGems 0.9.2;
I was able to upgrade to 0.9.4 manually --I ran setup.rb a second time
and somehow it resolved the problem there. However, I still get the
same errors trying to use RubyGems. This is the exact CLI text:

C:\Documents and Settings\Milton\My Documents\Tom>gem install
rubyscript2exe ERROR: While executing gem ...
(Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)

C:\Documents and Settings\Milton\My Documents\Tom>gem install
rubyscript2exe -n
o-http-proxy
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method `[]=' for #<Gem::ConfigFile:0x2e2ebc0>

T.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2007, at 19:25 , M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Are you behind a firewall? I'm not sure RubyGems is sneaky enough to
>> deal with proxy servers.
>
> RubyGems has dealt with proxy servers for ages.

Yes, but there's a special place in Heck reserved for the guy who
designed the NTLM proxy servers :). I have to use "aps", which is
written in (gasp) Python when I'm behind one of those, and mess with
"http_proxy" environment variables. Can't RubyGems do that directly?
Just ask me, "what's your NTLM password" and go get gems? Apparently
not. Then again, neither can ActiveState's Perl Package Manager.

Eric Hodel

On Sep 27, 2007, at 07:06 , Trans wrote:
> On Sep 26, 4:35 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2007, at 09:05 , Trans wrote:
>>> Is there anything you have to do after installing the Windows
>>> OneClickInstaller? I did so and then tried to use RubyGems with now
>>> success. First I tried:
>>
>>> gem install rubyscript2exe
>>
>>> but got
>>
>>> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)
>>
>> This tells me that you weren't attached to the internet, or were
>> having problems with DNS.
>>
>> While there could be a corner I've missed, I don't believe that
>> RubyGems prints out just an exception message and nothing else.
>> Please paste the full command output.
>>
>>> So I download the latest 0.9.4 version of RubyGems
>>
>> Last I checked the one click installer shipped with 0.9.4. gem env
>> will give you the version of RubyGems you have installed.
>
> I downloaded what was on ruby-lang.org and it install RubyGems 0.9.2;
> I was able to upgrade to 0.9.4 manually --I ran setup.rb a second time
> and somehow it resolved the problem there. However, I still get the
> same errors trying to use RubyGems. This is the exact CLI text:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Milton\My Documents\Tom>gem install
> rubyscript2exe ERROR: While executing gem ...
> (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
> getaddrinfo: no address associated with hostname.(SocketError)

Check `gem sources` to see what hosts you are attempting to attach
to. If you are having problems with DNS, no changes to RubyGems are
going to fix your DNS.

> C:\Documents and Settings\Milton\My Documents\Tom>gem install
> rubyscript2exe -n
> o-http-proxy
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
> undefined method `[]=' for #<Gem::ConfigFile:0x2e2ebc0>

This is a bug that has been fixed.

Are you using a proxy server? If you are and you set --no-http-
proxy, you probably won't be able to connect.

Eric Hodel

On Sep 27, 2007, at 07:39 , M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Sep 26, 2007, at 19:25 , M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>>> Are you behind a firewall? I'm not sure RubyGems is sneaky enough to
>>> deal with proxy servers.
>> RubyGems has dealt with proxy servers for ages.
> Yes, but there's a special place in Heck reserved for the guy who
> designed the NTLM proxy servers :). I have to use "aps", which is
> written in (gasp) Python when I'm behind one of those, and mess
> with "http_proxy" environment variables. Can't RubyGems do that
> directly? Just ask me, "what's your NTLM password" and go get gems?
> Apparently not. Then again, neither can ActiveState's Perl Package
> Manager.

If Net::HTTP can do it, RubyGems can do it. If you want RubyGems to
work with NTLM, make Net::HTTP work with NTLM.

(There is a patch in the tracker, but it looks to be windows-only.)

Trans

On Sep 27, 9:07 am, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:

> > C:\Documents and Settings\Milton\My Documents\Tom>gem install
> > rubyscript2exe -n
> > o-http-proxy
> > ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
> > undefined method `[]=' for #<Gem::ConfigFile:0x2e2ebc0>
>
> This is a bug that has been fixed.

Great. I'll await the next release.

> Are you using a proxy server? If you are and you set --no-http-
> proxy, you probably won't be able to connect.

Okay.

Thanks!
T.

aurelianito

I've patched on my PC and posted on the ticket how I did it. The link
is http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=12887&gr...

On 9/27/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 2007, at 07:39 , M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> > Eric Hodel wrote:
> >> RubyGems has dealt with proxy servers for ages.
> > Yes, but there's a special place in Heck reserved for the guy who
> > designed the NTLM proxy servers :). I have to use "aps", which is
> > written in (gasp) Python when I'm behind one of those, and mess
> > with "http_proxy" environment variables. Can't RubyGems do that
> > directly? Just ask me, "what's your NTLM password" and go get gems?
> > Apparently not. Then again, neither can ActiveState's Perl Package
> > Manager.
>
> If Net::HTTP can do it, RubyGems can do it. If you want RubyGems to
> work with NTLM, make Net::HTTP work with NTLM.
>
> (There is a patch in the tracker, but it looks to be windows-only.)

Eric Hodel

Don't top post.

On Sep 27, 2007, at 13:30 , Aureliano Calvo wrote:
> On 9/27/07, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
>>> Yes, but there's a special place in Heck reserved for the guy who
>>> designed the NTLM proxy servers :). I have to use "aps", which is
>>> written in (gasp) Python when I'm behind one of those, and mess
>>> with "http_proxy" environment variables. Can't RubyGems do that
>>> directly? Just ask me, "what's your NTLM password" and go get gems?
>>> Apparently not. Then again, neither can ActiveState's Perl Package
>>> Manager.
>>
>> If Net::HTTP can do it, RubyGems can do it. If you want RubyGems to
>> work with NTLM, make Net::HTTP work with NTLM.
>>
>> (There is a patch in the tracker, but it looks to be windows-only.)
>
> I've patched on my PC and posted on the ticket how I did it. The link
> is http://rubyforge.org...
> func=detail&atid=575&aid=12887&group_id=126

This patch doesn't have anything to do with NTLM.