Ruby Gmail Chat Group

Jayson Williams

9/25/2007 6:13:00 PM

...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.

"Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."

Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
are online.
So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
useful to anyone else?

Jayson
williams.jayson@gmail.com

8 Answers

Mohit Sindhwani

Jayson Williams wrote:
> ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
> coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
> account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
> the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
>
> "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
> of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
> could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
> entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
>
> Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
> the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
> Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
> are online.
> So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
> and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
> quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
> useful to anyone else?
>
> Jayson
> williams.jayson@gmail.com

I'm not a guru - so it's not my place to say... but since I'm not a
guru, I'd request that helping each other happen through the mailing
list/ newsgroup so that I can continue to search for solutions when I
have a problem.. this system maintains good publicly searchable archives!

Just my feeling..

Cheers,
Mohit.
9/26/2007 | 2:23 AM.

brabuhr

On 9/25/07, Jayson Williams <williams.jayson@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
> coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
> account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
> the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
>
> "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
> of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
> could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
> entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."

Or, alternatives:

Is there still a ruby-lang irc channel:
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...
?

Something like Lingr or Campfire?

Jayson Williams

That would be great to

On 9/25/07, brabuhr@gmail.com <brabuhr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/25/07, Jayson Williams <williams.jayson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
> > coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
> > account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
> > the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
> >
> > "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
> > of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
> > could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
> > entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
>
> Or, alternatives:
>
> Is there still a ruby-lang irc channel:
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...
> ?
>
> Something like Lingr or Campfire?

Alex Young

Mike Ciavarelli wrote:
> Can someone take me off this list? Or point me in the direction
Check the message headers, you'll see this line:

Should get you started :-)

--
Alex

Daniel Schierbeck

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 03:12 +0900, Jayson Williams wrote:
> ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
> coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
> account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
> the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
>
> "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
> of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
> could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
> entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
>
> Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
> the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
> Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
> are online.
> So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
> and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
> quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
> useful to anyone else?

GMail, and Google Talk, uses the open Jabber protocol. There are
numerous clients and servers available -- you don't have to be a GMail
user.

If something like that should work, though, it probably requires a
dedicated Ruby Jabber server, so that one isn't forced to accept
questions whenever online, but can enable and disable such an account at
will.

Cheers,
Daniel

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 03:12 +0900, Jayson Williams wrote:
>> ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
>> coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
>> account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
>> the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
>>
>> "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
>> of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
>> could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
>> entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
>>
>> Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
>> the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
>> Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
>> are online.
>> So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
>> and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
>> quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
>> useful to anyone else?
>
> GMail, and Google Talk, uses the open Jabber protocol. There are
> numerous clients and servers available -- you don't have to be a GMail
> user.
>
> If something like that should work, though, it probably requires a
> dedicated Ruby Jabber server, so that one isn't forced to accept
> questions whenever online, but can enable and disable such an account at
> will.
>

> Cheers,
> Daniel

For that matter, most of the open source chat clients can get to IRC
these days, can't they? You could head over to the IRC channels. There's
a Ruby IRC library too, isn't there? Some times the "old" ways are best. ;)

Jayson Williams

> a Ruby IRC library too, isn't there? Some times the "old" ways are best. ;)<
In fact, most new things are simply old things in new clothing!.
Thanks for the IIRC suggestion. I'll give it a whirl.

Jayson

On 9/26/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Daniel Schierbeck wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 03:12 +0900, Jayson Williams wrote:
> >> ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
> >> coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
> >> account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
> >> the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
> >>
> >> "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
> >> of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
> >> could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
> >> entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
> >>
> >> Not endorsing Gmail, or anything, just trying to use what I have to
> >> the fullest. Gmail has a chat feature, and quick contacts window.
> >> Clicking on a contact opens up a direct chat with that user if they
> >> are online.
> >> So what do you think? Are there any community members that have Gmail,
> >> and wouldn't mind helping one another out by adding each other to our
> >> quick contacts list? Does this sound like something that would be
> >> useful to anyone else?
> >
> > GMail, and Google Talk, uses the open Jabber protocol. There are
> > numerous clients and servers available -- you don't have to be a GMail
> > user.
> >
> > If something like that should work, though, it probably requires a
> > dedicated Ruby Jabber server, so that one isn't forced to accept
> > questions whenever online, but can enable and disable such an account at
> > will.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
>
> For that matter, most of the open source chat clients can get to IRC
> these days, can't they? You could head over to the IRC channels. There's
> a Ruby IRC library too, isn't there? Some times the "old" ways are best. ;)

Terry Poulin

Jayson Williams wrote:
> That would be great to
>
> On 9/25/07, brabuhr@gmail.com <brabuhr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/25/07, Jayson Williams <williams.jayson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ...so there I was. Wishing there was some Ruby Guru nearby that could
>> > coach me through this challenging bit of code. As I opened up my gmail
>> > account to shoot off yet another question to the group, my eye spotted
>> > the gmail chat feature to the left of the compose email window.
>> >
>> > "Wouldn't that be great?, " I thought to myself. " ...to have a list
>> > of a dozen or so Ruby enthusiasts that also had a gmail account. I
>> > could instantly see if they were online, before I addressed the
>> > entire group, and shoot out a quick question via chat."
>>
>> Or, alternatives:
>>
>> Is there still a ruby-lang irc channel:
>> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...
>> ?
>>
>> Something like Lingr or Campfire?

My problem solving phase...

Think / Code / Think (use debugger if necessary)

Look at the docs (ri, online rdoc e.t.c.)

Google for an example that might help or info that may be of use (Yes Google
is my primary search engine, spell checker, converter, and auxiliary
calculator).

If important / can't solve and dunno why / can't google it. Jump in #ruby-lang
and ask if any one can point me in the right direction.

If necessary or two big for IRC, ask the this group and wonderful community
for help/advice/wth am I doing wrong here.

I've yet to start a thread on this mailing list, there is one I wish to start
but never find time to do so =/

Having an Instant Messengering Group would be nice but IRC is much better
suited for it then most IM networkss I'm familiar with. Although my only
exposure to GTalk is via the LJTalk talk connection and my
AIM/MSN/ICQ/YIM/Jabber Client. -- Usually I use IRC if I need to find some one
who knows where the documentation is and ask them where it is because I missed
the page!! Other wise I generally get a long fine with Code.

Any way you slice it, I think this link is helpful for every one.

< http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-ques... >

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ip...