IRB is dying on me

Peter Bailey

9/24/2007 4:28:00 PM

Why is it that I can't repeat lines and edit them in IRB? If I press my
cursor up key, normally, that repeats the line I just entered. Then, I
can backspace and modify any part of that line I want before executing
it. But, it's dying on me. After I backspace a few characters, the
cursor goes nuts, and, I've lost my instruction string. Has anyone else
seen this behavior?

Thanks,
Peter

Greg Donald

Peter Bailey

Greg Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Peter Bailey wrote:
>
>> Why is it that I can't repeat lines and edit them in IRB? If I press my
>> cursor up key, normally, that repeats the line I just entered. Then, I
>> can backspace and modify any part of that line I want before executing
>> it. But, it's dying on me. After I backspace a few characters, the
>> cursor goes nuts, and, I've lost my instruction string. Has anyone else
>> seen this behavior?
>
> Sounds like your missing readline support.

Sorry, but, I don't know what that is. Is that a gem I need to install?

Greg Donald

Peter Bailey

Greg Donald wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Peter Bailey wrote:
>> > Sounds like your missing readline support.
>>
>> Sorry, but, I don't know what that is. Is that a gem I need to install?
>
> Readline is the library that makes your irb behave more like a modern
> shell. I added readline support to my Ruby when I compiled it.
>
> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local

OK. Well, I'm on Windows and I didn't compile anything. Ruby's been
"out-of-the-box" for me for almost a year now and it's worked
beautifully. I'll look into it further. Thanks.

Peter Bailey

Peter Bailey wrote:
> Greg Donald wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, but, I don't know what that is. Is that a gem I need to install?
>>
>> Readline is the library that makes your irb behave more like a modern
>> shell. I added readline support to my Ruby when I compiled it.
>>
>> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local
>
> OK. Well, I'm on Windows and I didn't compile anything. Ruby's been
> "out-of-the-box" for me for almost a year now and it's worked
> beautifully. I'll look into it further. Thanks.

Well, I tried everything including uninstalling and re-installing Ruby.
But, it still isn't working. This is very weird.

John Joyce

On Sep 24, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Peter Bailey wrote:

> Peter Bailey wrote:
>> Greg Donald wrote:

>>> Readline is the library that makes your irb behave more like a
>>> modern
>>> shell. I added readline support to my Ruby when I compiled it.
>>>
>>> --with-readline-dir=/usr/local
>>
>> OK. Well, I'm on Windows and I didn't compile anything. Ruby's been
>> "out-of-the-box" for me for almost a year now and it's worked
>> beautifully. I'll look into it further. Thanks.
>
> Well, I tried everything including uninstalling and re-installing
> Ruby.
> But, it still isn't working. This is very weird.

Ask yourself if you've installed anything recently (since you last
remember it working) ...
Something could've clobbered something.
Is your keyboard working in every app?
Is it CygWin or something?