Plugin like a Youtube

German Alberto Gimenez Silva

9/24/2007 1:12:00 PM

Hello, something know some plugin like a youtube?
Plugin for Rails. Funciontinality is upload Video, Audio and show inside web
aplicattion.

thanks
--
My Blog: http://libertadcero.word...

10 Answers

Phlip

German Alberto Gimenez Silva wrote:

> Hello, something know some plugin like a youtube?
> Plugin for Rails. Funciontinality is upload Video, Audio and show inside
> web
> aplicattion.

You have to buy a system that pipes your movies into Flash. So the VCR
controls on the screen are a Flash app, and it handles serving the movies.
This is the most portable platform for most situations. Not everyone has
WMV, and MPEG doesn't come with its own VCR controls, etc. Everyone has
Flash!

Now if someone could invent an MVC architecture, with a test rig, for the
inside of Flash, I would be such a happy camper!

--
Phlip

Sebastian Hungerecker

Phlip wrote:
> Not everyone has
> WMV, and MPEG doesn't come with its own VCR controls, etc.

I think you're confusing video formats and players/browser-plugins here.

> Everyone has Flash!

I don't.

--
NP: Nevermore - Forever
Jabber: sepp2k@jabber.org

Phlip

> > Not everyone has
> > WMV, and MPEG doesn't come with its own VCR controls, etc.
>
> I think you're confusing video formats and players/browser-plugins here.

Sorry - I'm not. If you want to push movies over the internet, the
simplest and most common format is a Flash with an encoder on your
server. The Flash implementation will come with VCR controls. That is
the basis of this recommendation; the rest are details.

> > Everyone has Flash!
>
> I don't.

You are not the customer!

--
Phlip

Sebastian Hungerecker

Phlip wrote:
> > > Not everyone has
> > > WMV, and MPEG doesn't come with its own VCR controls, etc.
> >
> > I think you're confusing video formats and players/browser-plugins here.
>
> Sorry - I'm not.

Well, the above sounded like you were saying that WMV (the video format)
has VCR controls (you actually only said that mpeg didn't, but to me it felt
as if you meant to imply that WMV does). Given that the idea of a video format
including any kind of GUI components seemed pretty absurd to me, I just
assumed you were confusing things. Since you're not, I'm apparently just
missing something.

> If you want to push movies over the internet, the
> simplest and most common format is a Flash with an encoder on your
> server. The Flash implementation will come with VCR controls.

True.

> That is
> the basis of this recommendation; the rest are details.

Details that seemed pretty confusing to me.

> > > Everyone has Flash!
> >
> > I don't.
>
> You are not the customer!

A long time ago I had the painful (and utterly shocking) realization that I
am not always right. It seems only logical to conclude that I am thus not
the customer.
I just wanted to point out that the statement "Everyone has Flash" is not
entirely true, even if the statement "Every customer has Flash" might be
(although that obviously depends on whose customers we're talking about).

--
Jabber: sepp2k@jabber.org
ICQ: 205544826

Jeremy McAnally

I believe his intent was to say that the WMV "plugin" or embed object
has VCR controls, which is valid.

--Jeremy

--
http://www.jeremymca...

My free Ruby e-book:
http://www.humblelittlerubybook...

My blogs:
http://www.mrneigh...
http://www.rubyinpra...

Sebastian Hungerecker

Jeremy McAnally wrote:
> I believe his intent was to say that the WMV "plugin" or embed object
> has VCR controls, which is valid.

I believed so too until he said that it wasn't.
Btw: I was under the impression that the WMP plugin was able to play anything
that WMP can play including MPEGs (so you do have VCR controls when playing
videos using that plugin).

--
NP: Count Raven - Let the Dead Bury the Dead
Jabber: sepp2k@jabber.org

John Joyce

Strictly speaking, the plugins for Windows Media Player, RealPlayer,
and QuickTime all provide the interface widgets for play controls
based on settings in the page element they're found in.

Flash is a different beast. Flash follows its own way of things.

Heck, they all do.

Adam Shelly

If i remember correctly, Hackety-Hack (http:\\hacketyhack.net) has
show video functionality built in. It might also be in the Shoes
toolkit (http://code.whytheluckystiff....).

-Adam

On 9/24/07, German Alberto Gimenez Silva <ggerman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, something know some plugin like a youtube?
> Plugin for Rails. Funciontinality is upload Video, Audio and show inside web
> aplicattion.
>

> thanks
> --
> My Blog: http://libertadcero.word...

Phlip

> I believe his intent was to say that the WMV "plugin" or embed object
> has VCR controls, which is valid.

Actually I didn't know that so I didn't say.

I know a shop that made the Flash decision - despite the cost of a
flash encoder - for just the analysis that I sketched here.

> > I just wanted to point out that the statement "Everyone has Flash" is not
> > entirely true, even if the statement "Every customer has Flash" might be
> > (although that obviously depends on whose customers we're talking about).

At one time, I referred to it as "sites infected with the Macromedia
virus"... (-;

--
Phlip

Tim Inman

ggerman:

Hackety Hack is not really for hosting things on the web yet.

Here is what you are looking for. This bright Chinese man has created a
screen cast and made his application available. You'll have to install
some things, but it should work.

http://railsforum.com/viewtopic.php...