Re: Latest benchmarks

SASADA Koichi

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> I can do fancier stuff in R, but I probably won't -- 5x is easy to remember.

Some warning:

1. Results of vm[12]_* benchmarks should be subtracted
loop_whileloop[12] results.

Does anyone hack benchmark program?

2. These benchmarks are only "micro" benchmarks. The purpose of
these benchmarks are only to measure VM basic performance.
Especially benchmarks focuses features which YARV achives
performance improvement on.

So practical application (such as using String manipulation) will
not be fast.

--
// SASADA Koichi at atdot dot net

6 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Sep 24, 2007, at 01:00 , SASADA Koichi wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> I can do fancier stuff in R, but I probably won't -- 5x is easy to
>> remember.
>
> 2. These benchmarks are only "micro" benchmarks. The purpose of
> these benchmarks are only to measure VM basic performance.
> Especially benchmarks focuses features which YARV achives
> performance improvement on.
>
> So practical application (such as using String manipulation) will
> not be fast.

For what its worth, the RubyGems test suite runs about 20-25% faster
on a recent 1.9.0, as reported by test/unit.

Ian J. Ball

On May 8, 11:52 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Mason Barge" <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 30 FOR 30 (The Draft of 1983)
> > Excruciating detail, as 30-30 usually has, about the only
> > draft in history where 6 quarterbacks were picked in the first round.
> > John Elway went first, and most of it revolves around his
> > adamant refusal to play for the Baltimore Colts, who drafted him, and
> > just how big an idiot the owner was.
>
> John Elway...dirtbag move.

Yet I bet you wholeheartedly approved when Eli Manning did the same
thing to the Chargers...
( [muttering darkly] Hypocrite... [/muttering darkly] )

Obveeus

"Ian J. Ball" <ijball@mac.com> wrote:
>On May 8, 11:52 am, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
>> "Mason Barge" <masonba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > 30 FOR 30 (The Draft of 1983)
>> > Excruciating detail, as 30-30 usually has, about the only
>> > draft in history where 6 quarterbacks were picked in the first round.
>> > John Elway went first, and most of it revolves around his
>> > adamant refusal to play for the Baltimore Colts, who drafted him, and
>> > just how big an idiot the owner was.
>>
>> John Elway...dirtbag move.
>
>Yet I bet you wholeheartedly approved when Eli Manning did the same
>thing to the Chargers...
>( [muttering darkly] Hypocrite... [/muttering darkly] )

Not an issue since I pay no attention to the Lowly Chargers and since they
drafted him only for his immediate trade value.

Mason Barge

On Wed, 8 May 2013 14:52:05 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:

>"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 30 FOR 30 (The Draft of 1983)
>> Excruciating detail, as 30-30 usually has, about the only
>> draft in history where 6 quarterbacks were picked in the first round.
>> John Elway went first, and most of it revolves around his
>> adamant refusal to play for the Baltimore Colts, who drafted him, and
>> just how big an idiot the owner was.
>
>John Elway...dirtbag move.

I dunno'. I can see his point. Baltimore was a dirtbag team.

It's amazing how much teams reflect the character of their owners. We
had to suffer through decades in Atlanta when Rankin Smith owned the
Falcons. Then Arthur Blank, great human being, bought them.

Elway may have acted like a spoiled kid, but at least he had the
excuse of being 20. What was Robert Irsay's excuse? And, may I point
out the reason Baltimore had the #1 pick.

Elway did have a good line. To try to be somewhat decent about it, he
told the press he didn't want to play in Baltimore because he was from
Southern California and it was too cold in Baltimore. So when he
announced he was signing with the New York Yankees, the reporters were
all over him, "New York is way colder than Maryland" etc. To which
Elway replied;

"They play baseball in the summer."

>> Similarly, Jim Kelly said
>> he would refuse to play for Buffalo and when they picked him, signed
>> with the USFL, where he played for a number of years.
>
>He also played his NFL career for the Bills.
>
>> Then as the draft first round rattled down it was, in
>> addition to Elway and Kelly, it was Todd Blackledge, Ken O'Brien and
>> Tony Eason. Without peeking, anyone want to guess who the
>> next-to-last pick was in the first round?
>
>The best QB in that draft.

Or, possibly, any draft.

Do you want to be the one to tell Ian that the Chargers had *three*
picks before Miami?

Obveeus

"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 May 2013 14:52:05 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obveeus@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>"Mason Barge" <masonbarge@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 30 FOR 30 (The Draft of 1983)
>>> Excruciating detail, as 30-30 usually has, about the only
>>> draft in history where 6 quarterbacks were picked in the first round.
>>> John Elway went first, and most of it revolves around his
>>> adamant refusal to play for the Baltimore Colts, who drafted him, and
>>> just how big an idiot the owner was.
>>
>>John Elway...dirtbag move.
>
> I dunno'. I can see his point. Baltimore was a dirtbag team.
>
> It's amazing how much teams reflect the character of their owners. We
> had to suffer through decades in Atlanta when Rankin Smith owned the
> Falcons. Then Arthur Blank, great human being, bought them.
>
> Elway may have acted like a spoiled kid, but at least he had the
> excuse of being 20. What was Robert Irsay's excuse? And, may I point
> out the reason Baltimore had the #1 pick.

Sure, but the whole point of an intelligent draft (unlike the partially
randomized 'fun' of the NBA) is to make sure that teams have the opportunity
to improve their lot in life. That doesn't happen if the people entering
the draft don't have respect for the system designed to make them into
multi-millionaires. A real man getting drafted early in the first round
should desire to come into a hapless team so he can be the one (one of the
ones) to build them into something else. Instead, Elway was a shallow,
privileged loser who wanted a good team handed to him. He would have been a
perfect fit for the Yankees.

>>> Then as the draft first round rattled down it was, in
>>> addition to Elway and Kelly, it was Todd Blackledge, Ken O'Brien and
>>> Tony Eason. Without peeking, anyone want to guess who the
>>> next-to-last pick was in the first round?
>>
>>The best QB in that draft.
>
> Or, possibly, any draft.
>
> Do you want to be the one to tell Ian that the Chargers had *three*
> picks before Miami?

Ian will probably claim it was a conspiracy.

wdstarr

In article <nkklo816n6f9tkvmuduotbtv6nusb4pk0g@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <masonbarge@gmail.com> said:

> I dunno'. I can see his point. Baltimore was a dirtbag team.
>
> It's amazing how much teams reflect the character of their owners.
> We had to suffer through decades in Atlanta when Rankin Smith
> owned the Falcons. Then Arthur Blank, great human being, bought
> them.
>
> Elway may have acted like a spoiled kid, but at least he had the
> excuse of being 20. What was Robert Irsay's excuse?

"I have money, so fuck you," as near as I could tell.

-- wds