Re: Latest benchmarks

Charles Oliver Nutter

9/24/2007 6:15:00 AM

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> So ... in a nutshell ... 1.9.0 is five times as fast as 1.8.6!

I'd be careful about making that assertion. The benchmarks in Ruby 1.9
are specific areas that Koichi has optimized to make 1.9 run them
faster. There are other areas, especially as regards core classes and
evaluated code, where 1.9 is no faster or even slower.

Not trying to rain on the parade, but even Koichi has recommended not
taking the 1.9 benchmark numbers as indicative of overall performance.

- Charlie

7 Answers

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> So ... in a nutshell ... 1.9.0 is five times as fast as 1.8.6!
>
> I'd be careful about making that assertion. The benchmarks in Ruby 1.9
> are specific areas that Koichi has optimized to make 1.9 run them
> faster. There are other areas, especially as regards core classes and
> evaluated code, where 1.9 is no faster or even slower.
>
> Not trying to rain on the parade, but even Koichi has recommended not
> taking the 1.9 benchmark numbers as indicative of overall performance.
>
> - Charlie

Well ... I'll agree with that after looking at the codes. They're
definitely micro-benchmarks and probably won't stress the cache/RAM
interface on modern chips. I'm hoping to get a Rails benchmark running
in the next few days -- it looks like it will be either Substruct or
rTPlan, whichever one is easiest to install. I don't suppose you have a
Rails benchmark laying around in your repositories. :)

Meanwhile, I ran them on the Athlon64 X2 and got slightly better results
-- which scale by cycle time as well. Unfortunately CodeAnalyst won't
tell me much on the T-Bird -- the chip is too ancient to interact
correctly with the profiler. But I should be able to get some pretty
good profiles on the Athlon64 X2 with it.

Charles Oliver Nutter

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Well ... I'll agree with that after looking at the codes. They're
> definitely micro-benchmarks and probably won't stress the cache/RAM
> interface on modern chips. I'm hoping to get a Rails benchmark running
> in the next few days -- it looks like it will be either Substruct or
> rTPlan, whichever one is easiest to install. I don't suppose you have a
> Rails benchmark laying around in your repositories. :)

Alexey Verhovsky from ThoughtWorks does have a "Pet Store" app in Rails
that he's been using to benchmark. I don't know how complete it is or
how similar to a "real world" application, but it might be a good place
to start (and I suspect he'd be interested in having others try it and
improve it).

Probably easiest to search JRuby mailing list archive for it...I don't
have a link handy.

- Charlie

Ola Bini

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Well ... I'll agree with that after looking at the codes. They're
>> definitely micro-benchmarks and probably won't stress the cache/RAM
>> interface on modern chips. I'm hoping to get a Rails benchmark running
>> in the next few days -- it looks like it will be either Substruct or
>> rTPlan, whichever one is easiest to install. I don't suppose you have a
>> Rails benchmark laying around in your repositories. :)
>
> Alexey Verhovsky from ThoughtWorks does have a "Pet Store" app in
> Rails that he's been using to benchmark. I don't know how complete it
> is or how similar to a "real world" application, but it might be a
> good place to start (and I suspect he'd be interested in having others
> try it and improve it).
>
> Probably easiest to search JRuby mailing list archive for it...I don't
> have a link handy.
>
> - Charlie

Take a look at the project tw-commons in RubyForge.

Cheers

--
Ola Bini (http://ola-bini.bl...)
JRuby Core Developer

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
>> Well ... I'll agree with that after looking at the codes. They're
>> definitely micro-benchmarks and probably won't stress the cache/RAM
>> interface on modern chips. I'm hoping to get a Rails benchmark running
>> in the next few days -- it looks like it will be either Substruct or
>> rTPlan, whichever one is easiest to install. I don't suppose you have a
>> Rails benchmark laying around in your repositories. :)
>
> Alexey Verhovsky from ThoughtWorks does have a "Pet Store" app in Rails
> that he's been using to benchmark. I don't know how complete it is or
> how similar to a "real world" application, but it might be a good place
> to start (and I suspect he'd be interested in having others try it and
> improve it).
>
> Probably easiest to search JRuby mailing list archive for it...I don't
> have a link handy.
>
> - Charlie

Yeah ... he told me about that on the Rails list. I downloaded it but
there aren't any installation instructions. It came up but none of the
links worked, presumably because I didn't do some necessary step.

Alexey Verkhovsky

On 9/24/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
> Yeah ... he told me about that on the Rails list. I downloaded it but
> there aren't any installation instructions. It came up but none of the
> links worked, presumably because I didn't do some necessary step.

1. yum install mysql-server
2. mysql -u root
create database petstore_production
exit
3. rake RAILS_ENV=production db:reset
4. script/server -e production
5. ab -c 1 -n 1000 http://localhost:3000/shop/viewCategory.shtml?category=DOGS

That's about it.

--
Alexey Verkhovsky
CruiseControl.rb [http://cruisecontrolrb.though...]

Alexey Verkhovsky

On 9/24/07, Alexey Verkhovsky <alexey.verkhovsky@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's about it.

Also:

To run on Mongrel-JRuby:

jruby -O -J-server script/server -e production

To run on Jetty:

jruby -S rake jrubyworks:war

# this sucks, will fix soon
mkdir -p war
cp petstore.war war/

jruby -S rake jrubyworks:retty

To run on Ruby 1.9: a fairly big exercise (Rails is not Ruby 1.9-compatible)

--

Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
> On 9/24/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@cesmail.net> wrote:
>> Yeah ... he told me about that on the Rails list. I downloaded it but
>> there aren't any installation instructions. It came up but none of the
>> links worked, presumably because I didn't do some necessary step.
>
> 1. yum install mysql-server
> 2. mysql -u root
> create database petstore_production
> exit
> 3. rake RAILS_ENV=production db:reset
> 4. script/server -e production
> 5. ab -c 1 -n 1000 http://localhost:3000/shop/viewCategory.shtml?category=DOGS
>
> That's about it.

Thanks!! It was the MySQL piece I was missing -- it's installed but I
didn't know how to build the database.