Re: [ANN] Ogre.rb 0.2 is now available!

Thiago Jackiw

9/21/2007 10:24:00 PM

Very nice! Any issues with the rendering speed of complex graphs or
scene/object movements?

--
Thiago Jackiw

On 9/21/07, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ogre.rb 0.2 is now available! It is available in gem and tar format on its
> rubyforge page:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/proje...
>
> Documentation is available in rdoc form at the website:
>
> http://ogrerb.rub...
>
> -- New in 0.2 --
>
> * Built against Ogre 1.4.4
> * Almost all of Ogre's API is now wrapped, albeit in many places very
> basically
> * Unit testing framework!
>

> -- What is Ogre.rb? --
>
> Ogre.rb is a SWIG wrapper around the very popular Ogre 3D rendering engine.
> Ogre.rb will eventually be not only a full wrapper around Ogre, but will
> also transform Ogre's API to follow the Ruby Way.
>
> Ogre.rb is currently built for Ogre 1.4 Eihort (http://www....)
> Ogre.rb also requires OIS 1.0 (http://sourceforge.net/proj...)
>

> -- Installation --
>
> Installation is as simple as can be expected:
>
> gem install ogrerb
>
> Win32 and source builds are up, Mac and Linux (32- and 64-bit) will be
> coming shortly. As these are pre-built binary libraries, the install may
> take 10 minutes or more depending on connection speed.
>
> Samples are available in the Source tar, a separate Samples download, and in
> the SVN repository:
>
> svn co svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/ogrerb/trunk
>

> -- Running the samples --
>
> Running the sample applications is as simple as making sure your system
> knows where the Ogre libraries and plugins are installed. On Windows this
> requires setting of the PATH environment variable, and on *nix setting of
> the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable if Ogre is installed in a custom location.
>
> Ogre.rb also assumes prior knowledge of the Ogre rendering engine and
> running Ogre applications. For those that are unfamiliar with Ogre, all you
> need to do to run the samples is to edit plugins.cfg and set the correct
> paths.
>

> -- Ogre.rb development --
>
> Build instructions are located in the README. For feature requests, patch
> submissions, bug reports, or general questions please use the Rubyforge
> project tracker.
>

> Enjoy
>
> Jason

1 Answer

John Joyce

On Sep 21, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Jason Roelofs wrote:

> Gah, mistype, the install is:
>
> gem install ogre.rb
>
> Ogre really isn't that hard to get together, near everything you
> need is
> there at the site.

Well, everything for Ogre itself, but you do have to install a fair
amount of stuff before installing Ogre from what I gathered...

> As for rendering speed, most of the execution time sits in Ogre's C+
> + code,
> you don't lose much. There is a slight almost unnoticable jerk when
> GC goes,
> not sure what can be done with that. That said, I haven't built
> anything
> large with the wrapper yet, so I can't comment on how much you lose.
> Hopefully Ruby 2.0 will be out soon(ish) so we can stop worring
> about Ruby
> execution speeds.

I wouldn't say that. Ruby speeds are expected to improve, but it will
never be C or C++ speed.
I do predict some game dev tool makers to officially begin
implementing Ruby as a scripting language for their engines within a
year or two!! (the sooner the better, imagine the expressiveness!)