Re: Emacs, Ruby, and Fode Colding :

Konrad Meyer

9/20/2007 1:36:00 AM

Quoth Samantha:
> Long time no see, oh Ruby Talk list. I have a question to any of you out
> there who are emacs users. (And yes, this is after searching the web for 2+
> days AND archives of mailing lists/newsgroups)
>
> Does anyone out there who uses emacs have a good solution to code folding?
> vim kicks the proverbial bum when it comes to code folding. I'd really like
> that functionality in Ruby.
>
> I've tried vim and emacs, and emacs is coming to me with more ease. I'm
> using ruby-mode. I figured this was probably the best place to ask the
> question since if you're here, you're probably using Ruby ;)
>
> Thanks!
> --
> Samantha
>
> http://www.bab...
>
> "Beware when the great God lets loose a thinker on this planet. Then all
> things are at risk."
> --Ralph Waldo Emerson

While we're on the subject, how *DO* you use code folding in vim?

Gracias,
--
Konrad Meyer <konrad@tylerc.org> http://konrad.sobertil...
2 Answers

Christian Roese

Check out this site:
http://emacs.wordpress.com/2007/01/16/quick-and-dirty-cod...

The main text deals w/ a quick and dirty way that uses a couple of
commands to hide all the function bodies (class ones too i would
assume), leaving you w/ just the signature line and the end line. Also,
there are some links in the first paragraph to some emacswiki pages.
I'm not sure which particular folding mode you like from vim, but the
folding-mode link takes you to a minor mode page that describes how to
setup emacs to use something very much akin to vim's marker folding
mode.

Anyways, check 'em out, it looks like there are a number of options.

Martin Krauskopf