Re: Unicode

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: Unicode"
on Mon, 17 Sep 2007 22:50:12 +0900, Todd Burch <promos@burchwoodusa.com> writes:

|Lotsa luck getting something like Unicode implemented when the
|underlying C contructs are using such an outdated syntax as ruby's does.

Old K&R style has nothing related to Unicode support of the language.
If you think it does, please elaborate.

It just reflects the history of the language. When I started
developing Ruby, old Sun CC compiler does not understand new style,
and I wanted Ruby to run on that platform, which I was using then.

For your information, the next release (1.9) finally abandoned the old
style.

matz.

1 Answer

Todd Burch

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Old K&R style has nothing related to Unicode support of the language.
> If you think it does, please elaborate.
>
> It just reflects the history of the language. When I started
> developing Ruby, old Sun CC compiler does not understand new style,
> and I wanted Ruby to run on that platform, which I was using then.
>
> For your information, the next release (1.9) finally abandoned the old
> style.
>
> matz.

Thanks Matz.

I'm new to C programming, but not new to programming. Therefore, my
assumption (yes, assumption) was that using whatever compiler swithes
were necessary to accept the old-style syntax would obviate the
opportunity to bring in "modern" libraries with unicode support, and/or
prohibit those aspects of the language that would enable the use of
unicode features.

So, apparently, since they ("they" being unicode support and the
syntax/compiler switches) are not related, and that's great.

By the way, as an aside, I really like the language you developed and
have made available. I primarily use Ruby with SketchUp (a 3D modeling
program - http://www.sk...) for extending the functionality of
the product. (SketchUp has a Ruby API) I was looking at the source to
see what it would take to implement a debugger than would work with Ruby
while running under SketchUp. I would like to step through expression
evaluation as the script runs.

(Big aspirations for a new C programmer like myself!)

Todd