Re: [ANN] uniforma-0.0.1 - converter for text formats

Victor 'Zverok' Shepelev

9/17/2007 6:38:00 AM

From: Jeff Barczewski [mailto:jeff.barczewski@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2007 6:53 PM

>On 9/13/07, Victor Zverok Shepelev <vshepelev@imho.com.ua> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce 0.0.1 (aka "early adopters only" release) of my
>> Uniforma library.
>>
>> It's here: http://rubyforge.org/projects...
>>

>> 3. For my journalism, I need MS Word output (I have no fun to do text
>> editing in MS Word, but ability to generate it is a must). Now I use
>> "Textile=>(RedCloth)=>HTML=>`winword mytext.html`" scheme, which have
>> several flaws. I want be able to easy define MS Word generator (using
>> win32ole, of course, no hand-made heroism).
>

>To generate msword docs - it might be easier (and more portable) to simply
>write out the new xml form of word rather than using win32ole. I believe it
>would still have all the same capabilities but just represented in xml
>format.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offic...
>
>And of course don't forget to add open office xml to the list.

1. My primary goal is to create "right tool" for others to define their own
parsers and generator
2. About complex formats, I'm planning to be pragmatic: win32ole-based
solution is enough for most cases. If somebody feels it's not enough, he/she
can do the "right" generator him/her-self.

>You might also take a look at deplate for some inspiration, it generates
>latex, html, and docbook and can read from a few formats.

Yeah, thanks.

>If you set up a mailing list, let me know as I would like to follow the
>project since this could be very useful as I need to be able to generate
>many formats.

OK, I'l notify you in the case. I think, it will be soon.

V.