How many computers in the house?

Todd Burch

9/14/2007 3:30:00 PM

I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

Bil Kleb

Todd Burch wrote:

> What's your inventory count?

I'm a Toyota Production System / Goldratt fan, I have one
(inventory is pure evil).

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Jeremy Woertink

2 completely operational, and 2 that only need ram or a video card. :)
BUT 4 that have ruby installed!

~Jeremy

On Sep 14, 8:29 am, Todd Burch <pro...@burchwoodusa.com> wrote:
> I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
> dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
> home, that were operational and could be use if needed.
>
> We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.
>
> What's your inventory count?
>
> Todd

Joel VanderWerf

Bil Kleb wrote:
> Todd Burch wrote:
>>
>> What's your inventory count?
>
> I'm a Toyota Production System / Goldratt fan, I have one
> (inventory is pure evil).

Heh. I own 0 computers. Ownership is so 20th century.

Rob Biedenharn

On Sep 14, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Todd Burch wrote:
> I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went
> out to
> dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us
> had at
> home, that were operational and could be use if needed.
>
> We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.
>
> What's your inventory count?
>
> Todd

Well, there are 5 that are currently work and at least 5 that don't
(but 1 or 2 of those would just need a new O/S install, but they're
kinda old).

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

Rob Biedenharn

On Sep 14, 2007, at 12:33 PM, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> Bil Kleb wrote:
>> Todd Burch wrote:
>>>
>>> What's your inventory count?
>> I'm a Toyota Production System / Goldratt fan, I have one
>> (inventory is pure evil).
>
> Heh. I own 0 computers. Ownership is so 20th century.
>
> --
> vjoel : Joel VanderWerf : path berkeley edu : 510 665 3407

On Sep 14, 2007, at 11:29 AM, Todd Burch wrote:
> I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went
> out to
> dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us
> had at
> home, that were operational and could be use if needed.
>
> We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.
>
> What's your inventory count?
>
> Todd

You haven't addressed Todd's original question. He didn't ask about
ownership, he asked computers you "had at home, that were
operational". Whether you own it or not wasn't part of the requirement.

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsult...
Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com

darren kirby

quoth the Todd Burch:
> I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
> dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
> home, that were operational and could be use if needed.
>
> We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.
>
> What's your inventory count?
>
> Todd

I love collecting computers. So far I have:
3 x x86 Desktop/Server (Linux, FreeBSD)
1 x x86 Laptop (Linux)
1 x Sun Ultra 60 (Linux, Solaris)
1 x Apple PowerMac G4 (OS X)
1 x Apple PowerMac G5 (Linux, OS X)
1 x SGI Octane (Linux, Irix)

Yes, Ruby runs on all of them...

-d
--
darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badco...

Joel VanderWerf

Rob Biedenharn wrote:

> You haven't addressed Todd's original question. He didn't ask about
> ownership, he asked computers you "had at home, that were operational".
> Whether you own it or not wasn't part of the requirement.

Still 0, at the moment. Got rid of an 8 year old linux box a few weeks ago.

Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)

Todd Burch wrote:
> I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
> dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
> home, that were operational and could be use if needed.
>
> We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.
>
> What's your inventory count?
>
> Todd

Hi, in my house, I've only one computer x86 running Debian Etch and Ruby!

--
Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)
http://g...

Chad Perrin

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 12:29:56AM +0900, Todd Burch wrote:
> I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
> dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
> home, that were operational and could be use if needed.
>
> We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.
>
> What's your inventory count?

Counting not only mine, but also the SigO's:

RUNNING
2 laptops (FreeBSD and Debian, both with Ruby)
1 desktop (MS Windows XP, soon to be FreeBSD instead)
3 servers (FreeBSD,Debian, and Debian, all with Ruby)

SOON TO BE RUNNING
1 game machine (FreeBSD, with Ruby)

SOON TO BE PLAYED WITH, OPERATIONAL STATUS UNKNOWN
2 mini PC systems
2 Sun IPCs
1 ancient Sony Vaio
1 Sun Sparcstation

OPERATIONAL, BUT PROBABLY JUNKED SOON
1 Toshiba laptop, 75MHz CPU (Slackware, broken screen)
1 ancient pizza-box form factor (Debian)

Then, of course, there are the various non-operational systems. I'm
pretty sure I haven't forgotten any of the operational systems, though
there may be one or two x86 "operational status unknown" systems I
forgot. The stuff in the "unknown" category will probably, as I get
(some of?) them running, will probably become a test network -- though I
may end up giving a couple away.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could

Bill Kelly

From: "Francis Cianfrocca" <garbagecat10@gmail.com>

> Last time I counted (a few months ago), I had 35 in my house. (These are
> either desktops, laptops, servers, or workstations. I didn't count PDAs.)

Holy guacamole !

I've got five operational, four of which are in-use:

- winxp / i386 (development system)
- os x / ppc (development system)
- debian linux / i386 (NAT / router)
- win2k / i396 (wife's pc)
- debian linux / i386 (spare NAT / router)

All have ruby installed. :)

Regards,

Bill