Gem Update Problems

Bryan Richardson

9/8/2007 10:47:00 PM

Hello all,

I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
http://gems.rubyforge... and hangs there forever. Any idea what the
problem is?

Thanks in advance!!! -- BTR

Lee Jarvis

Bryan Richardson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
> running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
> http://gems.rubyforge... and hangs there forever. Any idea what the
> problem is?
>
> Thanks in advance!!! -- BTR

How long have you waited? I had to wait quite some time..

Have you also tried installing any gems, If so have they install ok?

Tried re-installing gems also?

Lee

Bryan Richardson

Lee Jarvis wrote:
> How long have you waited? I had to wait quite some time..
>
> Have you also tried installing any gems, If so have they install ok?
>
> Tried re-installing gems also?
>
> Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for responding. I've waited upwards to an hour while watching it
before just going to bed and checking it out the next morning. When I
try to install a new gem it does the same thing. I first installed gem
via apt-get, but then I removed that (v 0.9.0) and installed 0.9.4 from
source.

Thanks! -- BTR

Eric Hodel

On Sep 8, 2007, at 15:47, Bryan Richardson wrote:
> I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
> running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
> http://gems.rubyforge... and hangs there forever. Any idea what the
> problem is?

How much memory do you have?

Marcin Raczkowski

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2007, at 15:47, Bryan Richardson wrote:
>> I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
>> running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
>> http://gems.rubyforge... and hangs there forever. Any idea what the
>> problem is?
>
> How much memory do you have?
>
> --
> Poor workers blame their tools. Good workers build better tools. The
> best workers get their tools to do the work for them. -- Syndicate Wars

you have less then 0.5gb ram, poblem is poor implementation of gem tool,
it tries to load whole rubyforge gem index into memory i had the same
problem

Eric Hodel

On Sep 9, 2007, at 23:31, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:

> Eric Hodel wrote:
>> On Sep 8, 2007, at 15:47, Bryan Richardson wrote:
>>> I'm having problems using gem. I'm on Ubuntu Feisty, and when I try
>>> running 'gem update', it states "Bulk updating gem source index
>>> http://gems.rubyforge... and hangs there forever. Any idea
>>> what the
>>> problem is?
>> How much memory do you have?
> you have less then 0.5gb ram, poblem is poor implementation of gem
> tool, it tries to load whole rubyforge gem index into memory i had
> the same problem

No, it takes about 120MB of RAM for a full index update.