Re: before, after and around Ruby 1.9

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: before, after and around Ruby 1.9"
on Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:12:53 +0900, Morton Goldberg <m_goldberg@ameritech.net> writes:

|Perhaps to avoid overloading 'super', you might use 'previous' or
|'existing' since we would be calling a previously existing version of
|the method.

Interesting idea, especially knowing Common Lisp Object System uses
call-next-method instead of super.

matz.

1 Answer

James Gray

On Sep 6, 2007, at 10:35 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: before, after and around Ruby 1.9"
> on Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:12:53 +0900, Morton Goldberg
> <m_goldberg@ameritech.net> writes:
>
> |Perhaps to avoid overloading 'super', you might use 'previous' or
> |'existing' since we would be calling a previously existing version of
> |the method.
>
> Interesting idea, especially knowing Common Lisp Object System uses
> call-next-method instead of super.

I believe Perl 6 takes a similar approach using the `next` keyword/
method/whatever (I don't know how it is implemented).

James Edward Gray II