Re: before, after and around Ruby 1.9

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: before, after and around Ruby 1.9"
on Thu, 6 Sep 2007 08:41:45 +0900, Lionel Bouton <lionel-subscription@bouton.name> writes:

|Does it mean that we won't be able to call the ancestor's implementation
|when monkey-patching a method?

I am not sure what you mean by monkey-patching. At least you can call
the ancestor's implementation, when

* it's not covered by the class
* or the method is explicitly removed

|I'm asking because I do this very (ugly?) thing for the Rails 1.1
|PostgreSQL ActiveRecord driver: add_column is buggy with my PostgreSQL
|version and it happens that the AbstractDriver implementation works out
|of the box :-)

In this case, you just need to remove the covering method, I guess.

matz.

1 Answer

Lionel Bouton

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> |I'm asking because I do this very (ugly?) thing for the Rails 1.1
> |PostgreSQL ActiveRecord driver: add_column is buggy with my PostgreSQL
> |version and it happens that the AbstractDriver implementation works out
> |of the box :-)
>
> In this case, you just need to remove the covering method, I guess.

So obvious I didn't saw it :-) Thanks.