Re: subject line

Stefan Rusterholz

9/3/2007 5:42:00 AM

Devi Web Development wrote:
> I don't know who would make this sort of decision, but could we put
> [RubyTalk] or [Ruby] or something at the beginning of all messages? It's
> fairly common practice on listserves.

Another "No" vote here. As mentioned: you can always let your e-mail app
filter the mails for you and if you need it, let it insert that [Ruby]
or whatever prefix.

Regards
Stefan

Matthias Wächter

On 03.09.2007 07:41, Stefan Rusterholz wrote:
> Devi Web Development wrote:
>> I don't know who would make this sort of decision, but could we put
>> [RubyTalk] or [Ruby] or something at the beginning of all messages? It's
>> fairly common practice on listserves.
>
> Another "No" vote here. As mentioned: you can always let your e-mail app
> filter the mails for you and if you need it, let it insert that [Ruby]
> or whatever prefix.

Most people are not aware of the possibility to filter automatically
by mail headers other than Subject, To or CC (as suggested,
X-ML-Name == "ruby-talk" or List-Id == "ruby-talk.ruby-lang.org").
They sit and watch tons of Ruby-Talk mails filling their inbox
without filtering. They like to spend the day (or the evening)
manually tagging all mail with a special subject prefix like
"[Ruby-Talk]" and moving it to a folder, or, even better, read the
intersting ones and delete the others. It makes them happy and they
think, they had done a lot of work! They are scared of untagged
mail, because they could (or already have) inadvertantly delete
important inbox stuff trating it as mailing list stuff. That's why
they want the prefix.

- Matthias

Chad Perrin

On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 07:22:40PM +0900, Matthias W??chter wrote:
> On 03.09.2007 07:41, Stefan Rusterholz wrote:
> > Devi Web Development wrote:
> >> I don't know who would make this sort of decision, but could we put
> >> [RubyTalk] or [Ruby] or something at the beginning of all messages? It's
> >> fairly common practice on listserves.
> >
> > Another "No" vote here. As mentioned: you can always let your e-mail app
> > filter the mails for you and if you need it, let it insert that [Ruby]
> > or whatever prefix.
>
> Most people are not aware of the possibility to filter automatically
> by mail headers other than Subject, To or CC (as suggested,
> X-ML-Name == "ruby-talk" or List-Id == "ruby-talk.ruby-lang.org").
> They sit and watch tons of Ruby-Talk mails filling their inbox
> without filtering. They like to spend the day (or the evening)
> manually tagging all mail with a special subject prefix like
> "[Ruby-Talk]" and moving it to a folder, or, even better, read the
> intersting ones and delete the others. It makes them happy and they
> think, they had done a lot of work! They are scared of untagged
> mail, because they could (or already have) inadvertantly delete
> important inbox stuff trating it as mailing list stuff. That's why
> they want the prefix.

Something tells me that those who object to the list software adding
[RUBY] to the subject line would also object to replies mysteriously
including an added [RUBY] in the subject line. As such, I think using
the possibility for adding that as a justification for preventing the
list software from doing so is a bad idea.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Rudy Giuliani: "You have free speech so I can be heard."