Re: UTF-8 character downcase!!

Victor 'Zverok' Shepelev

9/1/2007 10:35:00 AM

From: list-bounce@example.com [mailto:list-bounce@example.com] On Behalf Of
Igor K.
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 1:24 PM

>Hello,
>Who can help me with problem?
>
>I have a word = "??????", it's in russian, and i want to downcase this
>word(=??????). But standart method downcase not works with non-english
>letters
>
>Thank you for reply
>--

First of all, do you know about ror2ru google group? You'll be much
comfortable there with unicode questions...

Brief answer is: there's Unicode gem, which allows things like
Unicode#downcase(string).

Longer answer is: there's also Julian's Tarkhanov unicode_hacks, which uses
this gem for more comfortable things like string#downcase.

Even longer answer is: russian RoR community has something more organized
about this, but personally I don't know, as I'm do nothing with RoR. I use
unicode+unicode_hacks.

V.