Re: IDE's With Indentation Guides Like SciTE?

Terry Poulin

8/28/2007 6:50:00 PM

list. rb wrote:
> I've used SciTE for quite some time now and have become addicted to the
> indentation guides:
> I.e. http://people.mosaix.net/chris/images/scite...
>
> 1) Are there any other Ruby IDE's that offer this feature other than
> Notepad++ & Scite? I like Aptana but this feature is non-existent.
>
> 2) Also, I know lots of Ruby devs are once-java devs. I also do Java
> development and am similarly looking for a Java IDE that also has
> indentation guides. Any suggestions here?
>
> I've google'd the topic many times but 'Indentation Guides' isn't doing the
> trick. Is there another name for it? I can't leave SciTE without this
> feature!
>
> Thanks in advance

Vim or Emacs can probably be made to, ether by an internal setting or an
extension of some sort. It's been some time since I've used it but I think
Kate provides such a feature using dots:

// I think this is how Kate can be made to show indentation, google'd C++ code.
int
partition( int left, int right ) {

int first=left, pivot=right?;
while( left <= right ) {
. while( a[left] < a[pivot] ) {
. . left++;
. }
. while( (right >= first) && (a[right] >= a[pivot]) ) {
. . right?;
. }
. if ( left < right ) {
. . swap( left, right );
. . left++;
. }
}
if ( left != pivot ) {
. swap( left, pivot );
}
return left;
}

But don't quote me, I haven't used Kate in ages.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ip...

6 Answers

Chad Perrin

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 03:49:43AM +0900, Terry Poulin wrote:

> Vim or Emacs can probably be made to, ether by an internal setting or an
> extension of some sort. It's been some time since I've used it but I think
> Kate provides such a feature using dots:

I'm pretty sure one would have to find a script for such purposes on
Vim.org, or write it oneself -- I don't know of any integrated
capabilities along those lines. (If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know about
it.)

Now that I've been reminded of that feature of SciTE, I may have to hunt
down a way to do that in Vim myself.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
Amazon.com interview candidate: "When C++ is your hammer, everything starts

Christian Roese

Chad Perrin wrote:
> I'm pretty sure one would have to find a script for such purposes on
> Vim.org, or write it oneself -- I don't know of any integrated
> capabilities along those lines. (If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know
> about
> it.)
>
> Now that I've been reminded of that feature of SciTE, I may have to hunt
> down a way to do that in Vim myself.

check out
http://mamchenkov.net/wordpress/2004/05/10/vim-for-perl-dev...
and scroll all the way to the bottom and check out vertical indent
display

it just takes a couple of lines in .vimrc!

CGR

dtuttle1@gmail.com

Netbeans will highlight the other end of a block. It's a good ide for
ruby and java too, of course.
--Dave

Christian Roese wrote:
> Chad Perrin wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure one would have to find a script for such purposes on
>> Vim.org, or write it oneself -- I don't know of any integrated
>> capabilities along those lines. (If I'm mistaken, I'd like to know
>> about
>> it.)
>>
>> Now that I've been reminded of that feature of SciTE, I may have to hunt
>> down a way to do that in Vim myself.
>
> check out
> http://mamchenkov.net/wordpress/2004/05/10/vim-for-perl-dev...
> and scroll all the way to the bottom and check out vertical indent
> display
>
> it just takes a couple of lines in .vimrc!
>
> CGR

I think it only works with 'noexpandtab' (using tabs not spaces), don't know
if that would be a problem for any one.

I generally use tabs if I use a for deeper indentation (6-8) for a language
and spaces when in languages where I keep an indentation level small (2-4) but
people have been known to use any thing from 1 space to tabs set to display at
12 spaces deep! Good thing I use the language & indent to tell me what things
belong to who hehe.

--

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 07:07:46AM +0900, Terry Poulin wrote:

> I think it only works with 'noexpandtab' (using tabs not spaces), don't know
> if that would be a problem for any one.

Yeah, that looks like it only works with tabs -- which *would* be a
problem for me.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when

halong

On Feb 18, 6:46 pm, ":))" <bennypo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:32:18 -0800 (PST), halong <cco...@netscape.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Lu'c tru+o+'c tui dda~ ba`n ve^` cai' na`y ro^`i... cai' kho+?i dda6`u
> >tu+'c la` tu+. do into+`ne^
>
> >Nhu+ng co' anh cu no. thi` che^ bai na`y no., goi. la` " bo^.p xi.t "
>
> >what is "bo^.p xi.t"  anyway ? (bi.p bo^.p va` bu xi.t ?)

> Cha('c la` bu xi.t dda^'y !
>
> Tie^'ng Mi~ pha't a^m theo kie^?u tho*`i trang a` na mi't ma` !  :-)))
>
> VC cu~ng co' cho cho*i Internet thoa?i ma'i nhu*ng ne^'u kha'ch ha`ng
> ma` ddu.ng va`o chi'nh tri., tra?i truye^`n ddo*n na`y no. cha(?ng
> ha.ng thi` ha~ng ddie^.n thoa.i se~ cu'p phone va^n va^n...
>
> Co^ng ty ddie^.n lu*.c se~ la`m kho' de^~ nha` cu?a chu? nha^n.
> DDie^.n nu*o*'c ta('t ba^.t ba^'t thu*o*`ng.
>
> Well, cho*i vo*'i mafia thi` pha?i bie^'t va`i ba ca'i lua^.t le^.
> giang ho^` ca(n ba?n kie^?u na`y !
>
> :-)))))
>
> TGIF !

phi dom In to+` ne^ muong numb

ho` chi'nh mi muo^'n na(`m thi` cho ha('n na(`m