How to best extract Ruby strings from REXML::Text instances?

Kenneth McDonald

8/25/2007 11:46:00 PM

REXML is a great package and is making it very easy for me to extract
data from web pages. However, I'm having trouble with extracting a file
string value from text nodes. My understanding from reading the API doc
is that saying something like

p a_textnode.value

should print out the string value of the textnode with special character
entities back-substituted, eg. with " " put in place of " ".
However, I'm getting the XML-style value, i.e. I'm getting something like

 15.16

printed to the terminal, special character entities aren't being
substituted for.

Am I misinterpreting what .value does? Is there a better or other way to
do this?

Thanks,
Ken

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good XPath quick reference or summary?

1 Answer

Robert Klemme

2007/8/26, Kenneth McDonald <kenneth.m.mcdonald@sbcglobal.net>:
> REXML is a great package and is making it very easy for me to extract
> data from web pages. However, I'm having trouble with extracting a file
> string value from text nodes. My understanding from reading the API doc
> is that saying something like
>
> p a_textnode.value

I think you want "element.text".

irb(main):008:0> t=REXML::Document.new("<foo>bar</foo>")
=> <UNDEFINED> ... </>
irb(main):009:0> t.root.text
=> "bar"
irb(main):010:0> t.root.text.class
=> String

> should print out the string value of the textnode with special character
> entities back-substituted, eg. with " " put in place of "&nbsp;".
> However, I'm getting the XML-style value, i.e. I'm getting something like
>
> &nbsp;15.16&nbsp;
>
> printed to the terminal, special character entities aren't being
> substituted for.
>

> Am I misinterpreting what .value does? Is there a better or other way to
> do this?
>

> Thanks,
> Ken
>
> P.S. Can anyone recommend a good XPath quick reference or summary?

I use this frequently:
http://www.w3schools....

and sometimes this:
http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XPathTutorial/General/exa...