Gallery application in RoR

Marcin Gil

8/21/2007 1:36:00 PM

Hi!

Are there any fine (I mean more/less similar to Gallery2
http://gallery.m... which is in PHP) gallery applications
in RoR?

The only I was able to find is Gullery but it's nowhere near what
Gallery2 represents.

Thanks,
_Marcin
7 Answers

John Joyce

On Aug 21, 2007, at 8:39 AM, Marcin Gil wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Are there any fine (I mean more/less similar to Gallery2
> http://gallery.m... which is in PHP) gallery applications
> in RoR?
>
> The only I was able to find is Gullery but it's nowhere near what
> Gallery2 represents.
>
> Thanks,
> _Marcin

The thing is, you should be able to build that in RoR.
Doing it in PHP would take a team of people a long time.
RoR makes it humanly possible.

Marcin Gil

John Joyce wrote:
> The thing is, you should be able to build that in RoR.
> Doing it in PHP would take a team of people a long time.
> RoR makes it humanly possible.

I am not up to that speed in RoR to make it. I would just
prefer a solution in RoR that I know how to at least tamper with :)
I know PHP quite well but still any project in PHP that size looks
like spaghetti to me ;)

--
Marcin
http://marcin.g...

Kyle Schmitt

Ohh comeon.

Two programmers, go head to head to make this app.

A programs with PHP+their chosen libs
B with Ruby+their chosen libs (probably ROR)

Which will make the best app in the least amount of time?

The best programmer.

The language may accentuate the abilities of a programmer, may make it
easier or harder to do some things, but unless they are really bad
languages, it's mostly down to how the programmer uses them, and how
well they know them.

PHP isn't my choice of language, but I know it well enough to know,
it's not a terminally broken language: you can code well in it.

--Kyle

John Joyce

On Aug 21, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Marcin Gil wrote:

> John Joyce wrote:
>> The thing is, you should be able to build that in RoR.
>> Doing it in PHP would take a team of people a long time.
>> RoR makes it humanly possible.
>
> I am not up to that speed in RoR to make it. I would just
> prefer a solution in RoR that I know how to at least tamper with :)
> I know PHP quite well but still any project in PHP that size looks
> like spaghetti to me ;)
>
> --
> Marcin
> http://marcin.g...
> http://picasaweb.google.com...

You can make spaghetti in Ruby and in RoR as well, but it never quite
looks like spaghetti as much as PHP does (even when it isn't)
I would say, though, that you'll be well off picking up the Sitepoint
book on Rails. Great intro to get you up to speed.
It doesn't throw the kitchen sink at you quite the way AWDWR does
(but AWDWR is still a vital reference)
While using it, develop your own gallery at the same time. Just add
the features you know you will need.
For each feature, if it seems terribly complex, try building a new
app that is only focused on that feature, to work out your logic.
Seems like overkill? Ruby and RoR make it pretty easy to do that.
Once you get over the first learning curve of RoR, everything else
comes a lot easier and it becomes a matter of looking up other
features of the framework.
Surely you don't need ALL of the features in Gallery2?! It tries to
be everything to everyone and in doing that, it ends up with a lot of
things you might not want/need.
Building something like this for yourself is the way to get up to speed!

Jeremy Hinegardner

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 10:39:58PM +0900, Marcin Gil wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Are there any fine (I mean more/less similar to Gallery2
> http://gallery.m... which is in PHP) gallery applications
> in RoR?
>
> The only I was able to find is Gullery but it's nowhere near what
> Gallery2 represents.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/page...
http://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=gallery&Sea...
http://rubyforge.org/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=photo&Sea...

enjoy,

-jeremy

Jeremy Hinegardner jeremy@hinegardner.org

Jimmy Kofler

> Posted by Marcin Gil (Guest)
> on 21.08.2007 15:41
>
> Hi!
>
> Are there any fine (I mean more/less similar to Gallery2
> http://gallery.m... which is in PHP) gallery applications

Maybe also take a look at http://panthe... !

(see
http://www.rubyinside.com/pantherfotos-a-commercial-photo-site-built-with-two-months-of-rails-experienc...