Re: Date and DateTime on the Mac

John Joyce

8/20/2007 8:53:00 PM

On Aug 20, 2007, at 3:07 PM, Felix Windt wrote:

> [...]

It is part of the Ruby 'standard library' but you do still need to
require a library before using it.
If you are not sure if a method is available, that is, you don't know
if it has been required, use irb.
in irb try the method. Error message? then try require 'library_name'
and it will return true on success, false on failure.
If it returns false, you might have mistyped the name, or path to the
library.

4 Answers

Hassan Schroeder

On 8/20/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is part of the Ruby 'standard library' but you do still need to
> require a library before using it.

Is this platform dependent? 'require' doesn't seem to be, er, required
on my SuSE system --

hassan@ceylon:~> ruby -v
hassan@ceylon:~> irb
irb(main):001:0> DateTime.now.to_s
=> "2007-08-20T14:14:31-07:00"
irb(main):002:0>

Gary Wright

On Aug 20, 2007, at 5:12 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On 8/20/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It is part of the Ruby 'standard library' but you do still need to
>> require a library before using it.
>
> Is this platform dependent? 'require' doesn't seem to be, er, required
> on my SuSE system --
>
> hassan@ceylon:~> ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [x86_64-linux]
> hassan@ceylon:~> irb
> irb(main):001:0> DateTime.now.to_s
> => "2007-08-20T14:14:31-07:00"
> irb(main):002:0>

Be careful with irb. It has its own set of startup rules and
behaviors that
are slightly different than Ruby itself. Try:

ruby -e 'puts DateTime.now.to_s'

Ruby's startup behaviour can also be changed if the RUBYOPT environment
variable is set.

On my installation irb shows 451 classes defined at startup while the
Ruby
interpreter just shows 147 classes.

Hassan Schroeder

On 8/20/07, Gary Wright <gwtmp01@mac.com> wrote:

> Be careful with irb. It has its own set of startup rules and
> behaviors that are slightly different than Ruby itself. Try:
>
> ruby -e 'puts DateTime.now.to_s'

Aha, that fails. Good to know -- thanks for the clarification.

John Joyce

On Aug 20, 2007, at 4:29 PM, Gary Wright wrote:

> On Aug 20, 2007, at 5:12 PM, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>
>> On 8/20/07, John Joyce <dangerwillrobinsondanger@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It is part of the Ruby 'standard library' but you do still need to
>>> require a library before using it.
>>
>> Is this platform dependent? 'require' doesn't seem to be, er,
>> required
>> on my SuSE system --
>>
>> hassan@ceylon:~> ruby -v
>> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13 patchlevel 0) [x86_64-linux]
>> hassan@ceylon:~> irb
>> irb(main):001:0> DateTime.now.to_s
>> => "2007-08-20T14:14:31-07:00"
>> irb(main):002:0>
>
> Be careful with irb. It has its own set of startup rules and
> behaviors that
> are slightly different than Ruby itself. Try:
>
> ruby -e 'puts DateTime.now.to_s'
>
> Ruby's startup behaviour can also be changed if the RUBYOPT
> environment
> variable is set.
>
> On my installation irb shows 451 classes defined at startup while
> the Ruby
> interpreter just shows 147 classes.

Good call, that's true, irb does require some things automatically.