Ruby on the iPhone

Evan Light

8/20/2007 2:05:00 AM

Anyone else out there realized that Ruby has been compiled for and now
runs on the iPhone? If you have an iPhone, go visit this site:
http://iphone.nullriver.... Installer.app will help you
easilly install a terminal and Ruby (!!!). Just go to /usr/local/bin
and play. I did a tiny bit of benchmarking myself just for giggles.

http://evan.tiggerpalace...

Granted that I haven't played with SWIG yet but I wonder how it would
do for wrapping UIKit. I imagine that it's not nearly as simple as it
sounds.

Evan Light

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Aug 19, 2007, at 19:09, Evan Light wrote:
> Anyone else out there realized that Ruby has been compiled for and now
> runs on the iPhone? If you have an iPhone, go visit this site:
> http://iphone.nullriver.... Installer.app will help you
> easilly install a terminal and Ruby (!!!). Just go to /usr/local/bin
> and play. I did a tiny bit of benchmarking myself just for giggles.
>
> http://evan.tiggerpalace...

Nearly this same message was posted two weeks ago.

> Granted that I haven't played with SWIG yet but I wonder how it would
> do for wrapping UIKit. I imagine that it's not nearly as simple as it
> sounds.

Wouldn't RubyObjC be far more appropriate?

http://www.rub...

Evan Light

On Aug 19, 10:24 pm, Eric Hodel <drbr...@segment7.net> wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2007, at 19:09, Evan Light wrote:
>
> > Anyone else out there realized that Ruby has been compiled for and now
> > runs on the iPhone? If you have an iPhone, go visit this site:
> >http://iphone.nullriver.... Installer.app will help you
> > easilly install a terminal and Ruby (!!!). Just go to /usr/local/bin
> > and play. I did a tiny bit of benchmarking myself just for giggles.
>
> >http://evan.tiggerpalace...
>
> Nearly this same message was posted two weeks ago.

Sorry for the repost then.

> > Granted that I haven't played with SWIG yet but I wonder how it would
> > do for wrapping UIKit. I imagine that it's not nearly as simple as it
> > sounds.
>
> Wouldn't RubyObjC be far more appropriate?
>
> http://www.rub...

True. SWIG doesn't accomodate Objective-C, does it? ;) Bitten by my
over-enthusiasm.