[gem] Problem installing dependecy log4r for ruby-net-nntp

Eric

8/16/2007 6:29:00 PM

To be able to interact with a news server (NNTP) I try to install
ruby-net-nntp. (Linux)

This is what happenned:
~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
Install required dependency log4r? [Yn] y
ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
403 Forbidden

Installing and upgrading other gems (rails, etc.) was no problem.

Is there a solution for this problem or is there another way to interact
with a news server?

TIA

--
Groeten,
Eric

Tim Pease

On 8/16/07, Eric <eric-news@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> To be able to interact with a news server (NNTP) I try to install
> ruby-net-nntp. (Linux)
>
> This is what happenned:
> ~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
> Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
> Install required dependency log4r? [Yn] y
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
> 403 Forbidden

I would recommend installing log4r by hand. You can download the gem
file by following the download link on the log4r project homepage:

http://log4r.ruby...

Blessings,
TwP

Eric

Op do 16 aug 21:34:12 2007 CEST schreef Tim Pease in
de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':

> On 8/16/07, Eric <eric-news@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> To be able to interact with a news server (NNTP) I try to install
>> ruby-net-nntp. (Linux)
>>
>> This is what happenned:
>> ~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
>> Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
>> Install required dependency log4r? [Yn] y
>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
>> 403 Forbidden
>>

> I would recommend installing log4r by hand. You can download the gem
> file by following the download link on the log4r project homepage:
>
> http://log4r.ruby...

I'll give it a shot and report my findings. Thanks!

--
Groeten,
Eric

Eric

Op do 16 aug 22:34:30 2007 CEST schreef Eric in
de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':

> Op do 16 aug 21:34:12 2007 CEST schreef Tim Pease in
> de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':
>
>> On 8/16/07, Eric <eric-news@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> To be able to interact with a news server (NNTP) I try to install
>>> ruby-net-nntp. (Linux)
>>>
>>> This is what happenned:
>>> ~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
>>> Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rub...
>>> Install required dependency log4r? [Yn] y
>>> ERROR: While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
>>> 403 Forbidden
>>>

>> I would recommend installing log4r by hand. You can download the gem
>> file by following the download link on the log4r project homepage:
>>
>> http://log4r.ruby...
>
> I'll give it a shot and report my findings. Thanks!

[root@scooby2 ~]# gem install Desktop/log4r-1.0.5.gem -l
Successfully installed log4r, version 1.0.5
Installing ri documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
Installing RDoc documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
[root@scooby2 ~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
Need to update 5 gems from http://gems.rub...
complete
Successfully installed ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0
Installing ri documentation for ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0...
Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0...
[root@scooby2 ~]#

Like a charm. Thanks!

But... There was something wrong. Should I report something to someone?

I like to contribute something. (Since Ruby, Rails and Aptana/RadRails
gave me so much...)
--
Groeten,
Eric

Eric Hodel

On Aug 16, 2007, at 13:50, Eric wrote:
> Op do 16 aug 22:34:30 2007 CEST schreef Eric in
> de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':
>> Op do 16 aug 21:34:12 2007 CEST schreef Tim Pease in
>> de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':

>>> I would recommend installing log4r by hand. You can download the gem
>>> file by following the download link on the log4r project homepage:
>>>
>>> http://log4r.ruby...
>>
>> I'll give it a shot and report my findings. Thanks!
>
> [root@scooby2 ~]# gem install Desktop/log4r-1.0.5.gem -l
> Successfully installed log4r, version 1.0.5
> Installing ri documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
> Installing RDoc documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
> [root@scooby2 ~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
> Need to update 5 gems from http://gems.rub...
> complete
> Successfully installed ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0
> Installing ri documentation for ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0...
> Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0...
> [root@scooby2 ~]#
>
> Like a charm. Thanks!
>
> But... There was something wrong. Should I report something to
> someone?
>
> I like to contribute something. (Since Ruby, Rails and Aptana/RadRails
> gave me so much...)

One of the mirrors was probably busted. I don't think you can easily
figure out which one though since that code is buried in open-uri.rb.

Eric

Op do 16 aug 23:21:55 2007 CEST schreef Eric Hodel in
de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':

> On Aug 16, 2007, at 13:50, Eric wrote:
>> Op do 16 aug 22:34:30 2007 CEST schreef Eric in
>> de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':
>>> Op do 16 aug 21:34:12 2007 CEST schreef Tim Pease in
>>> de nieuwsgroep 'comp.lang.ruby':

>>> I'll give it a shot and report my findings. Thanks!
>>
>> [root@scooby2 ~]# gem install Desktop/log4r-1.0.5.gem -l
>> Successfully installed log4r, version 1.0.5
>> Installing ri documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
>> Installing RDoc documentation for log4r-1.0.5...
>> [root@scooby2 ~]# gem install ruby-net-nntp
>> Need to update 5 gems from http://gems.rub...
>> complete
>> Successfully installed ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0
>> Installing ri documentation for ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0...
>> Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-net-nntp-0.1.0...
>> [root@scooby2 ~]#
>>
>> Like a charm. Thanks!
>>
>> But... There was something wrong. Should I report something to
>> someone?
>>
>> I like to contribute something. (Since Ruby, Rails and Aptana/RadRails
>> gave me so much...)
>
> One of the mirrors was probably busted. I don't think you can easily
> figure out which one though since that code is buried in open-uri.rb.

I'll look into it whenever (if ever) I leave my Ruby-noob-status behind.

--
Groeten,
Eric