ruby-debug: 1) @-sign, 2) v i

Axel

8/15/2007 11:35:00 AM

Hello,

when using ruby-debug ( _not_ the standard debugger coming with Ruby),
I cannot get the @-sign typed. Is there a way to get it typed?

I'm using:
- a German keyboard
- Windows XP pro
- ruby-debug 0.9.3 (running it from cmd)
- ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]

When switching Windows to US-keyboard, @-sign works, but I have big
difficulties getting for exampel those brackets [ ] . (Additionaly, I
would be very slow in typing on it...)

Another thing, how does:

v[ar] i[nstance] <object>

work? - When using the exampel of Brian Donovan, slightly modified:

class My
def fib(n)
@fib_cache ||= [1, 1]
@fib_cache[n] ||= fib(n-1) + fib(n-2)

my = My.new
puts my.fib(20)

and set a breakpoint, continue and enter "v i My", I do not get
anything. .

Thank you!

Axel

4 Answers

Martin Krauskopf

Jano Svitok

On 8/15/07, Axel <a99.googlegroups.a99@dfgh.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> when using ruby-debug ( _not_ the standard debugger coming with Ruby),
> I cannot get the @-sign typed. Is there a way to get it typed?
>
> I'm using:
> - a German keyboard
> - Windows XP pro
> - ruby-debug 0.9.3 (running it from cmd)
> - ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
>
> When switching Windows to US-keyboard, @-sign works, but I have big
> difficulties getting for exampel those brackets [ ] . (Additionaly, I
> would be very slow in typing on it...)

On Slovak keyboard, @ is typed by AltGr (the right Alt) with V. Try
pressing the keys with AltGr to find it.

Axel

Hello Martin,

> E.g. try to add one line at the end of you program, e.g. sleep 0.1, and
> put breakpoint on it. Then you get the array of fibonacci numbers
> @fib_cache listed after "v i my".

Ahh, nice, this works! Thank you!

- Axel

Axel

Hello Jano,

> On Slovak keyboard, @ is typed by AltGr (the right Alt) with V. Try
> pressing the keys with AltGr to find it.

unfortunately, this doesn't work with ruby-debug, at least on my side.

With all other programs, for example notepad and cmd-shell, I get @
by AltGr + Q on my German keyboard; but not with ruby-debug. :(

Thank you,

Axel