Quick Float question

Cliff Rowley

8/11/2007 1:11:00 AM

I'm doing some math with Ruby and I'd really like to know why:

irb(main):002:0> 10.0 / 3.0
=> 3.33333333333333

but

irb(main):003:0> (10.0 / 3.0) == 3.33333333333333

is

=> false

Thanks :-)

Cliff

9 Answers

Hank Gong

This is because the 3.33333333333333 is not the exact value you got
from 10.0/3.0. Ruby store more information you can't not see.
So if you want to compare the float, you can write it as
(10.0/3.0 - 3.3333333333).abs <= 0.0001

On Aug 11, 10:10 am, Cliff Rowley <cliffrow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm doing some math with Ruby and I'd really like to know why:
>
> irb(main):002:0> 10.0 / 3.0
> => 3.33333333333333
>
> but
>
> irb(main):003:0> (10.0 / 3.0) == 3.33333333333333
>
> is
>
> => false
>
> Thanks :-)
>
> Cliff

Cliff Rowley

Hank Gong wrote:
> This is because the 3.33333333333333 is not the exact value you got
> from 10.0/3.0. Ruby store more information you can't not see.
> So if you want to compare the float, you can write it as
> (10.0/3.0 - 3.3333333333).abs <= 0.0001

This is what I thought. Thanks for clarifying that. I need it
primarily for unit testing, I'll try this technique and see how I go.

Thanks again

Cliff

Gregory Brown

On 8/10/07, Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hank Gong wrote:
> > This is because the 3.33333333333333 is not the exact value you got
> > from 10.0/3.0. Ruby store more information you can't not see.
> > So if you want to compare the float, you can write it as
> > (10.0/3.0 - 3.3333333333).abs <= 0.0001
> >
> This is what I thought. Thanks for clarifying that. I need it
> primarily for unit testing, I'll try this technique and see how I go.

assert_in_delta 3.3333333333, 10.0/3.0, 0.0001

-greg

Cliff Rowley

Gregory Brown wrote:
> assert_in_delta 3.3333333333, 10.0/3.0, 0.0001
>
> -greg

Perfect, thankyou :-)

Cliff

Daryl

On 2/13/2014 11:42 PM, GOP_Decline_and_Fall wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2014 01:18:45 -0500, "Scout"
> <me4guns@vcenturylink.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>> "GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

>>> Walmart is responsible for it's own behavior
>>
>> Certainly, but the reasons they behaved as they did, can certainly be laid
>> on the door step of Obamacare.
>>
>> <snip attempts to divert attention and change the subject>
>
> Oh?
>
> Having the temerity to ask YOU for a cite for your palpable nonsense
> is to be redefined as "changing the subject is it?
>
> We await a shred of evidence for these bizarre claims of yours about
> Walmarts philanthropy in behalf of it's long suffering work force.

There is just one problem with his reasoning. The Walmart Medical
Insurance didn't meet the minimum requirements.

--
Visit http://droo... for free TV and Movies. One of
the Largest Collections of Public Domain and Classic TV on

Gunner Asch

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:40:50 -0600, "Eddie Haskell" <ghqm@hjdepo.com>
wrote:

>"BeamMeUpScotty" <ThenDestroyEveryThing@Blackhole.nebulx.com> wrote in
>message news:fuaLu.47285$n31.34291@en-nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com...
>> On 2/13/2014 3:52 PM, Eddie Haskell wrote:
>>> "Guy Fawkes" <No_email_for_you@wahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Time for a drone strike.
>>>
>>> -Eddie Haskell
>>>

>> DNC headquarters? The Den of thieves.
>
>For starters.
>
>-Eddie Haskell

Drone strike?

What...no rope?

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid? to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---
http://www...

Gunner Asch

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 23:22:31 -0500, "Scout"
<me4guns@vcenturylink.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:

>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:37:47 -0500, "Scout"
>> <me4guns@vcenturylink.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>>

>>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

>>>And thus Obamacare, by your own admission, tends to wipe out employer
>>>provided healthcare.
>>
>> Obviously you are confused.
>>
>> All employer provided insurance is now ACA compliant and those
>> offered it are not eligible for Obamacare and subsidies.
>
>But you just told us that Wal-Mart has dropped insurance for most of their
>employees and don't offer it at all for new employees.
>
>So a lot of Wal-Mart employees no longer have it, and new employees aren't
>even offered it.
>
>Why?
>
>Obamacare.....by your own admission.

Im curious as to the explanations the Left has for Congress not being
forced into ObamaCare themselves. Why did they vote themselves and
their staffs out of ObamaCare? If its such a Great Deal!!....why did
they handicap themselves and their staff with something worse?

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid? to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

---
http://www...

2,304 murdered in Obama's organized communities

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 21:20:15 -0800, GOP_Decline_and_Fall
<Dev@null.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 23:22:31 -0500, "Scout"
><me4guns@vcenturylink.removeme.this2.nospam.net> wrote:
>

>>"GOP_Decline_and_Fall" <Dev@null.net> wrote in message

>>> Obviously you are confused.
>>>
>>> All employer provided insurance is now ACA compliant and those
>>> offered it are not eligible for Obamacare and subsidies.
>>
>>But you just told us that Wal-Mart has dropped insurance for most of their
>>employees and don't offer it at all for new employees.
>>
>>So a lot of Wal-Mart employees no longer have it, and new employees aren't
>>even offered it.
>>
>>Why?
>>
>>Obamacare.....by your own admission.
>
>Nope corporate greed.