Any recommendations on ruby editor

Harry

I am looking into investing in an editor for working with ruby(including
rails), any recommendations?.
Experience and feedback appreciated.

thanks
Hari

20 Answers

flazzarino

On Aug 10, 12:37 pm, "harry pillei" <H...@pillai.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking into investing in an editor for working with ruby(including
> rails), any recommendations?.
> Experience and feedback appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Hari

emacs + rails mode is working great for me,
it can navigate around the project nicely, run ruby snippets, and ...
its emacs, what more could you want?

jedit worked nice too, i used it before the emacs rails mode was
complete.

i tried radrails and it was kinda buggy (probably a lot better now)
but i find a lot of its functionality not useful (like running
servers, etc.) because automated tests lets me nail down the
functionality before i code. i do like how it runs the tests as you
type like how eclipse compiles as you type.

-franco

collintmiller

> i tried radrails and it was kinda buggy (probably a lot better now)
> but i find a lot of its functionality not useful (like running
> servers, etc.) because automated tests lets me nail down the
> functionality before i code. i do like how it runs the tests as you
> type like how eclipse compiles as you type.
>
> -franco

Ever since Aptana swallowed up RadRails things have been getting
better and better.

I still like to alt-tab between it and a console for most scripts, but
I love using it to run my tests.

Stef Richards

harry pillei wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking into investing in an editor for working with ruby(including
> rails), any recommendations?.
> Experience and feedback appreciated.
>
> thanks
> Hari

I like eclipse - though more of an IDE than an editor; it's very useful
when working with rails. Get the pre-packaged version for rails from
Easyeclipse: http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/ruby-...

but be warned: you'll need a decent amount of memory to run it - but
everyone has a gig these days, no?

Pawel Stawicki

I like eclipse too, but I use netbeans 6.0 M10. Why? Aptana misses one
functionality which I like: going to class definition when I just place
cursor on it's name and press some key. Netbeans can go into core RoR
files, aptana can't.

Regards
PaweÅ? Stawicki

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Stef Richards wrote:

> but be warned: you'll need a decent amount of memory to run it - but
> everyone has a gig these days, no?

Force me to buy a new laptop? *Never*!

I got a dual-core Athlon64 X2 with 4 GB for the less than the price of a
decent 1 GB laptop.

Ari Brown

if you roll with The Woz (ie, use Mac), then check out TextMate

On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:45 PM, franco wrote:

> On Aug 10, 12:37 pm, "harry pillei" <H...@pillai.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am looking into investing in an editor for working with ruby
>> (including
>> rails), any recommendations?.
>> Experience and feedback appreciated.
>>
>> thanks
>> Hari

-------------------------------------------------------|
~ Ari
crap my sig won't fit

Felipe Ureta

On 8/14/07, Ari Brown <ari@aribrown.com> wrote:
> if you roll with The Woz (ie, use Mac), then check out TextMate
>

> On Aug 10, 2007, at 1:45 PM, franco wrote:
>
> > On Aug 10, 12:37 pm, "harry pillei" <H...@pillai.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> I am looking into investing in an editor for working with ruby
> >> (including
> >> rails), any recommendations?.
> >> Experience and feedback appreciated.
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> Hari
>

> -------------------------------------------------------|
> ~ Ari
> crap my sig won't fit

There's also gedit for GNU/Linux, you can tweak it and make it work
close as texmate. Here's the link for the tweaking:
http://grigio.org/textmate_gedit...

Regards,
Felipe

Kyle Schmitt

Dangerous q to ask here, you'll get 100 different answers from 50
different people ;)
I'll give you 3: Scite, Eclipse and NetBeans

For small things I use scite, which I believe can work in OSX, but
more or less it'll be equivalent to any ruby-aware code-highlighting
text editor that will launch the interpreter for you. The downside is
it's really just a text editor.
Scite, of 10
ruby integration: 4
text highlighting: 10
multiple file support: 4
version control: 0
stability:8

I'm using eclipse+RDT at work, and am still using it for my projects
there, because it's already setup and works. The downside of it is
that it seems to have issues with following the object model more than
one or two steps, and can't do things like refactor a class name
across all files in the project, or even a search and replace across
all files in the project.
eclipse+RDT, of 10
ruby integration: 7
text highlighting: 10
multiple file support: 8
version control: 5
stability:4

That said, I use NetBeans (6.x beta, milestone whatever) for all my
personal ruby coding that's IDE-worthy. It was a HECK of a lot easier
to setup, and on reasonable hardware (even on my old 1 ghz laptop
linux) is no slower than eclipse. I haven't used it as much, but so
far it's giving me a good feeling, and the ruby integration is much
tighter (esp with the intelisensish type things)
NetBeans 6 Beta, of 10
ruby integration: 9
text highlighting: 10
multiple file support: 9