RubyDBI install fails during make

Max Russell

8/9/2007 3:16:00 PM

I downloaded Ruby DBI 0.1.1 from Rubyforge.
I extracted it into a sub-folder in My Documents where I store setup
files.

I ran the following:

ruby setup.rb config
ruby setup.rb install

however, this fails and I see this:

C:\Documents and Settings\mrussell\My Documents\My
Setups\Ruby\DBI\ruby-dbi>ruby
setup.rb setup
entering setup phase...
setting #! line to "#!c:/ruby/bin/ruby"
setting #! line to "#!c:/ruby/bin/ruby"
c:/ruby/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for sqlite_open() in sqlite.lib... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
--with-opt-dir
--without-opt-dir
--with-opt-include
--without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
--with-opt-lib
--without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
--with-make-prog
--srcdir=.
--curdir
--ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby
--with-sqlite-dir
--without-sqlite-dir
--with-sqlite-include
--without-sqlite-include=${sqlite-dir}/include
--with-sqlite-lib
--without-sqlite-lib=${sqlite-dir}/lib
--with-sqlitelib
--without-sqlitelib
make
setup failed
'system make' failed
try "ruby setup.rb --help" for usage

Eric Hodel

On Aug 9, 2007, at 08:16, Max Russell wrote:

> I downloaded Ruby DBI 0.1.1 from Rubyforge.
> I extracted it into a sub-folder in My Documents where I store setup
> files.
>
> I ran the following:
>
> ruby setup.rb config
> ruby setup.rb install
>
> however, this fails and I see this:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\mrussell\My Documents\My
> Setups\Ruby\DBI\ruby-dbi>ruby
> setup.rb setup
> entering setup phase...
> setting #! line to "#!c:/ruby/bin/ruby"
> setting #! line to "#!c:/ruby/bin/ruby"
> c:/ruby/bin/ruby extconf.rb
> checking for sqlite_open() in sqlite.lib... no
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details. You may need configuration options.

Those last three lines say it all.

> Provided configuration options:
> --with-opt-dir
> --without-opt-dir
> --with-opt-include
> --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
> --with-opt-lib
> --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
> --with-make-prog
> --srcdir=.
> --curdir
> --ruby=c:/ruby/bin/ruby
> --with-sqlite-dir
> --without-sqlite-dir
> --with-sqlite-include
> --without-sqlite-include=${sqlite-dir}/include
> --with-sqlite-lib
> --without-sqlite-lib=${sqlite-dir}/lib
> --with-sqlitelib
> --without-sqlitelib

Use one of these (--with-sqlite-dir is best) to tell extconf.rb where
your sqlite library lives. If you don't have sqlite installed,
you'll need to install it first. Be sure to use the one that matches
your compiler.

Max Russell

Eric Hodel wrote:
Use one of these (--with-sqlite-dir is best) to tell extconf.rb where
your sqlite library lives. If you don't have sqlite installed,
you'll need to install it first. Be sure to use the one that matches
your compiler.

Looking at the SQLite/Ruby and SQLite pages I notice that the Ruby
binding is apparently not compatible with SQLite 3. However, the
available SQLite dll version is 3.4.1 for MSVCRT.

Max Russell

Actually, why does it require SQLite at all? I specifically want an ODBC
connection to SQLServer.