Zufynet

i'm looking for a Ruby extension to create/manipulate 3d environment and generate 2d image from it.

Thanks all.

Luca
11 Answers

Alex Young

Zufynet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm looking for a Ruby extension to create/manipulate 3d environment and
> generate 2d image from it.
There's a binding to SDL here: http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubys...

The SDL GL interface is pretty easy to get your head around. Is that
what you were looking for?

--
Alex

SonOfLilit

On 8/8/07, Alex Young <alex@blackkettle.org> wrote:
> Zufynet wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i'm looking for a Ruby extension to create/manipulate 3d environment and
> > generate 2d image from it.
> There's a binding to SDL here: http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubys...
>
> The SDL GL interface is pretty easy to get your head around. Is that
> what you were looking for?
>
> --
> Alex

Installing SDL is bothersome. At least with the one-click installer,
you can use OpenGL directly. There are examples with the installation.

Aur

Zufynet

SonOfLilit ha scritto:
> On 8/8/07, Alex Young <alex@blackkettle.org> wrote:
>> Zufynet wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> i'm looking for a Ruby extension to create/manipulate 3d environment and
>>> generate 2d image from it.
>> There's a binding to SDL here: http://www.kmc.gr.jp/~ohai/rubys...
>>
>> The SDL GL interface is pretty easy to get your head around. Is that
>> what you were looking for?
>>
>> --
>> Alex
>
> Installing SDL is bothersome. At least with the one-click installer,
> you can use OpenGL directly. There are examples with the installation.
>

> Aur

I'd like create an Ruby web application like http://city3d.game... where i use Image_3D PEAR PHP package

Luca

SonOfLilit

On 8/8/07, Zufynet <info@zufy.net> wrote:
> I'd like create an Ruby web application like http://city3d.game... where i use Image_3D PEAR PHP package

You can use both given options then, I think. Certainly SDL.

But for such simple renderings I'd recommend a client side Javascript
or Flash rendering engine to save on bandwidth.

Aur

Charles Oliver Nutter

Zufynet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm looking for a Ruby extension to create/manipulate 3d environment and
> generate 2d image from it.

You could certainly use JRuby with the gaggle of 3D/2D libraries and
frameworks out there. I don't know how to use them myself, but they're
pretty full-featured.

- Charlie

Remysun

On Nov 10, 3:55 pm, YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:

> Even if you personally don't like what he does, George Lucas *IS* the
> person who created it, paid for 95% of it, and is the only person who is
> morally allowed to make changes, and decide what does and doesn't happen.
>
> The franchise does not need some moron coming in trying to change it into
> some overly realistic, ill-fitting pile of dog poo simply because they
> think they know better than the person who actually created it.

One, he's sold off the rights. Two, by your reckoning, there should be
no Superman, James Bond, Godzilla, or even Tolkien movies either.

yourname

In article
<495c8d4d-c438-4549-af37-3a51aef08f5d@c16g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Remysun <remysun2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Nov 10, 3:55=A0pm, YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:
> >
> > Even if you personally don't like what he does, George Lucas *IS* the
> > person who created it, paid for 95% of it, and is the only person who is
> > morally allowed to make changes, and decide what does and doesn't happen.
> >
> > The franchise does not need some moron coming in trying to change it into
> > some overly realistic, ill-fitting pile of dog poo simply because they
> > think they know better than the person who actually created it.
>
> One, he's sold off the rights. Two, by your reckoning, there should be
> no Superman, James Bond, Godzilla, or even Tolkien movies either.

Not when they include lots of silly, ill-fitting changes, no there
shouldn't be. The person who created it did so in a certain way,
particular style, etc. Nobody else has the moral right (whether or not
their own it) to then come in and drastically change it to something that
is in reality very different ... the entire reason that "reboots" are
idiotically stupid.

You may as well say that because I own the Mona Lisa I can scribble a
moustache on it, or because I own the Statue of Liberty I can knock it
down - legally I could, but anyone with a sense of morality wouldn't and
even if someone tried they'd get persecuted by the press and general
public.

To be successful and coherent, a franchise needs to be consisitent -
everything has to fit together ... that's what makes it a "franchise", not
just the name and basic core idea.

If these over-egoed new fools think they're so great, then why don't they
actually create their own franchise rather than butchering and destroying
someone else's work?

David Johnston

On 11/13/2012 5:12 PM, Your Name wrote:
> In article
> <495c8d4d-c438-4549-af37-3a51aef08f5d@c16g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
> Remysun <remysun2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 3:55=A0pm, YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:
>>>
>>> Even if you personally don't like what he does, George Lucas *IS* the
>>> person who created it, paid for 95% of it, and is the only person who is
>>> morally allowed to make changes, and decide what does and doesn't happen.
>>>
>>> The franchise does not need some moron coming in trying to change it into
>>> some overly realistic, ill-fitting pile of dog poo simply because they
>>> think they know better than the person who actually created it.
>>
>> One, he's sold off the rights. Two, by your reckoning, there should be
>> no Superman, James Bond, Godzilla, or even Tolkien movies either.
>
> Not when they include lots of silly, ill-fitting changes, no there
> shouldn't be. The person who created it did so in a certain way,
> particular style, etc.

And here we are, not giving a shit.

Robert Bannister

On 14/11/12 3:51 AM, Remysun wrote:
> On Nov 10, 3:55 pm, YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:
>
>> Even if you personally don't like what he does, George Lucas *IS* the
>> person who created it, paid for 95% of it, and is the only person who is
>> morally allowed to make changes, and decide what does and doesn't happen.
>>
>> The franchise does not need some moron coming in trying to change it into
>> some overly realistic, ill-fitting pile of dog poo simply because they
>> think they know better than the person who actually created it.
>
> One, he's sold off the rights. Two, by your reckoning, there should be
> no Superman, James Bond, Godzilla, or even Tolkien movies either.

I think translating a work into another medium is rather different from
adding bits to an existing opus.

--
Robert Bannister

David Johnston

On 11/13/2012 7:51 PM, Robert Bannister wrote:
> On 14/11/12 3:51 AM, Remysun wrote:
>> On Nov 10, 3:55 pm, YourN...@YourISP.com (Your Name) wrote:
>>
>>> Even if you personally don't like what he does, George Lucas *IS* the
>>> person who created it, paid for 95% of it, and is the only person who is
>>> morally allowed to make changes, and decide what does and doesn't
>>> happen.
>>>
>>> The franchise does not need some moron coming in trying to change it
>>> into
>>> some overly realistic, ill-fitting pile of dog poo simply because they
>>> think they know better than the person who actually created it.
>>
>> One, he's sold off the rights. Two, by your reckoning, there should be
>> no Superman, James Bond, Godzilla, or even Tolkien movies either.
>>

> I think translating a work into another medium is rather different from
> adding bits to an existing opus.

Well the original creator of James Bond is the original creator of James
Bond. Assuming the moral right "YourName" claims exists actually did
exist, it should ban both, since it's virtually impossible to translate
them across media without changing them. It should probably also ban
translation into other languages. Of course no such right exists.